Favorite Books

I read a really, really good book this past week called The Fault in Our Stars by John Green. It is the kind of book that makes you believe that writing is good and powerful and important because as soon as you’ve finished the book you feel the need to clutch it to your chest. Reading it was like a punch to the gut that knocks your wind out. It reminds you why we need stories. It reminds you of the role they have in this world.

My post takes life in a few questions: What is your favorite book? Why is it your favorite book? Did it change you? How did it shape you? What do you think the role of stories are?

My favorite book for a long time (before I read Fault in Our Stars) was Socrates Cafe by Christopher Phillips. I read it junior year of high school and it sparked a love that has carried me to where I am today–a philosophy major. It was the first book devoted to philosophy that I read. I found myself identifying with what I read, feeling at home in the author’s discussions. It gave me a name for what I’d always liked to do–think too much. Because I read it, I decided to take Introduction to Philosophy at MSU my senior year. I loved the class. Which prompted me to take more philosophy classes, which prompted me to major in it, and thus changing the course of my life forever. (although, one might ask if I was fated to end up as a philosophy major, it might have happened anyways, with a different thing than this book moving me towards it).

Anyways, what is your experience with powerful writing?

2 thoughts to “Favorite Books”

1. Hi Alicia,

My experience with powerful writing have always fictional novels that are intended to be read multiple times, because of their hidden meanings. Books like “The Giver” or “1984” are ones that I love to read.

And a philosophy major sounds like a lot of fun. I’m glad that you found your major through a book and a class.

-Diana

2. There is absolutely nothing like a book that you have to clutch to your chest after reading it. I loved that feeling. I have only experienced it a couple of times. The first was High Fidelity by Nick Hornby(yes it was a book before it was a movie). It’s about break-ups and it is hilarious and the characters are lovable and painfully frustrating. It is a book that I can pick up at any time of day and just read from any section.
    I am really interested in this John Green book now. Plus, with summer just around the corner, it looks like I can actually get some reading done! Hoo ray!!