Finally Finished…

Recently, a rapper from Detroit, Mi came out out with his first debut album, Finally Famous. Basically, after all of the hard times and struggles with record sales, he’s finally famous. This guy is Big Sean, he’s only a year older than me and we went to the same high school. So I can imagine his struggle and his excitement to be finally famous. This is precisely how I feel, except replace the famous with finished! I’m Finally Finished.

┬áThere is something quite captivating about that word finally. Finally carries a deeper meaning as to say it was a struggle to get to this point and to say finally means you were able to move a mountain and overcome. To say finally means that you don’t have to go back but you can move forward. It means that you’ve reached the light at the end of the tunnel!

To say finally means to overcome something. However, some “finally’s” are bigger than others. Today I attended Black Celebratory which is the Black graduation celebration here at the University of Michigan’s campus. They honored undergraduates, graduates, and doctoral students who were graduating. Each person got the chance to walk across the stage. As we moved from undergraduate students, to graduate students the applause got louder. As we moved from graduate students to doctoral students there was absolute mayhem, I mean it was like a football game in there! There was a particular moment when the last doctoral student went up and they announced he was receiving his doctorate in medicine and it was a synchronized shout of joy all across the auditorium, you would have thought the heavens opened or something. But everyone cheered for him and celebrated with him because they knew he was finally finished. And that was a bigger finally than an undergraduate degree or a masters degree. It was a finally of bigger triumph.

So, my finally is small, but it still counts. It doesn’t diminish all I have overcome this year to get to this point to say that I’m finally finished. My finally may be small but it means a lot right now. This was the last assignment I had for this semester and now I’m going into my senior year in the Fall to attempt to finish and conquer an even bigger “finally” at the end of Winter term 2013. As for right now I’m finally finished…

http://wp.me/P2kSNK-2