Portfoliopalooza

I am a student in the Ann Arbor Languages Program and basically, I go to an Ann Arbor school every Tuesday and Thursday and I teach 3rd graders Spanish. I conduct the lessons entirely in Spanish going for an “immersion” effect. It has been one of the most: difficult, insightful, frustrating, rewarding, backbreaking, and ultimately-worth-it classes that I have ever taken. I teach 60 + kids for 1 and 30 min, twice a week, entirely in Spanish. Putting it in print takes all the life out of it, but trust me when I say that it is a lot of work. However, when the kids start to be able to tell me all the colors, numbers, months, and what the weather is outside, I can’t help but swell with a little bit of pride. I taught them everything they know, controlled a third grade class (7 and 8 year olds) and I did it entirely in Spanish. I can’t help but feel like I can do anything. Although, there were times when everything, and I mean everything, went wrong. There is nothing quite as humiliating as a 7 year old native spanish speaker announcing to the class that their “teacher” isn’t saying the word the right way. Words cannot describe the shame I felt. Of course, now I have a great story out of it.

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lxvmk0vf1M1qivj9w.gif
How I felt most of the time I left that classroom

Anyway, I bring this all up because I am making a portfolio for that class and in the minor course we are making our e-portfolios. There are many similarities between the two surprisingly. Both are going through a lot of failure and “boy I wish I could do this, but I lack the experience and time to make that happen.” One referring to my teaching and the other to my website creating skills. Although I have to say both are improving, the improvements are very slowly taking shape. Of course, both are requiring me to do a great deal of writing as well but this is not something that I really mind. After just finishing my orgo 2 exam, a paper of any kind is gladly accepted. This post is rapidly becoming a rant about how my end of the semester projects are piling up. So I’ll just end on this note CHICAGO CUBS OPENING DAY IS HERE!

http://www.cubsobsession.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/Chicago_Cubs_ch68_large.jpg
Hey Chicago What Do You Say?!

One thought to “Portfoliopalooza”

1. Well Sal, if it makes you feel any better, I am experiencing the exact same frustration with my re-mediation project. I am creating a short video clip in iMovie, which everyone explained is extremely easy software to use. HA! One bad video clip that I was using managed to create problems for me that even the head of the ISS Media Center could not figure out. Yet, even after I managed to discover and delete that little bastard, I still constantly feel useless with this software. I watch four year old kids make outstanding videos on Youtube about anything and everything, which adds to my dismay. It takes me a ridiculous amount of time to accomplish the smallest of tasks, which subsequently discourages me to attempt any sort of difficult maneuver.

I guess the only thing that keeps me motivated throughout the entire process is the notion that it can only get easier from here. This probably wont make you feel any better, because I used to hate when my parents used that line. But alas, opening day excites me greatly as I now look forward to a season of the Rockies competing for last place in the league….as per usual.