Reflections on Writing 200

We’re not at the end of our fair writing class quite yet, but it’s getting close, and it’s been a journey, so some reflections are in order.

I think I realized the greatest benefit of taking Writing 200 yesterday during a job interview. I must have alluded to my writing skills and fondness of writing in previous correspondence with the company, because one of my interviewer’s first questions was to elaborate on the topic. I told him how I’m not too shabby at writing political sceince papers and arguing policy proposals after spending quite a bit of time in the academic world, and also how my current writing class is giving me phenomenal experience and knowledge of New Media Writing.

The company’s purpose is political campaign strategy, and my interviewer started telling me about the work he does for their clients. A large portion of his job was computer based. He launches websites, blogs, social networking pages, and organizes huge events via these resources. I was quick to tell him about my newfound affinity for blogging and new media. I told him how far I have come in this discipline. From knowing an absolutely marginal amount about blogging and expressing my writing in non-traditional ways, and even having a negligible amount of respect for the field due to this, I know own my own blog, and have confidence writing in this new medium. I know how to appeal to my audience better, and feel able to reach them through new media using pictures and links.

This interview was significant for two reasons. It was obviously productive being able to relate to this possible employer’s work, and being able to prove to him that he should consider me as a candidate. More importantly, however, was the opportunity to hear myself articulate and reflect on the benefits of Writing 200. I have learned how to utilize new media forms which, as I have come to realize, are an increasingly prominent of how people everywhere are writing and how businesses function. Leaving college without this knowledge, stuck in my critical viewpoint of blogging, would be a gigantic inconvenience in searching for a job. I am thankful, and feel I will be even more grateful in the future, for having spent time with blogging and new media so that I can go forward writing online for my own purposes and audiences as well as for my boss.

One thought to “Reflections on Writing 200”

1. Chris,

Congratulations (assuming you got the job??)! Even if you didn’t, I think it’s awesome that you were able to apply what you’ve learned in our class to a veritable real-world experience. I definitely perceive new media writing as becoming an increasingly marketable — if not critical — skill as we go out looking for jobs and other opportunities in the future. Writing 200 has truly been an excellent base and catalyst for practicing and learning about new media and using it to our advantage in settings outside of academia.

– Allie