Blogging and Repurposing… Madelaine Mitchell-Ward

Blogging, how I saw it before participating, was rather self centered, and a little foolish, valuing your thoughts and opinions so much that they should be shared with the world. However, after blogging and reading other’s blogs, I have somewhat of a changed outlook. I think now, that blogs are pretty interesting when it is a blog about a topic the blogger and reader are both exploring and interested in. Reading blogs provide accessible information, however skewed it may be, and introduce other opinions and outlooks besides your own into the mix. I think that blogging, and I touched on this in my “Why I Write” Essay, is a nice way to rehear, or read for the first time others responses specifically to topics discussed in class. It gives me an opportunity to better figure out what others think of readings and nice pieces they have come across and wrote about. As far as writing is concerned, I found it easier to blog what I thought as I had more experience and with gamification, I now feel free to do pretty much whatever I want, exploring my opinions without over complicating them to sound important or correct even, just relay honest opinions and explorations of text.

Blogging is different than other types of writing because of its structure, its unhindered opinions. Unlike essays or books or magazine articles that are painstakingly edited, blogging, as Sullivan pointed out, can be published with confidence, and then looked at afterwards to see cracks. Also, blogging allows multimedia presentation within the blog; readers have the possibility to find out more than they might if they were just sitting down to read a book. What bloggers also need to keep in mind is audience, and I think that is another difference between blogging and other forms of writing. Readers of blogs aren’t reading for straight factual news. As a reader of blogs, I want to be entertained by an opinion, a point to agree or disagree with, or a witty sarcastic remark. I am less looking to read for rhetorical devices, and more for understanding of thought process behind the blog.

In this way, blogging has prepared me for my repurposing project. My original piece was a pseudo- magazine article in Dance Teacher Magazine, cheesy, graphic and very colorful. Pictures, captions and pieces of text highlighted in purple are everywhere, the topic being how to sell out a dance show or recital. The audience for my work was dance teachers, not looking for a piece of work to spend significant time with, but more of an easy read to maybe amp up their Nutcracker programs. I have decided to repurpose as a business article for a business publication like a Wall Street Journal. Needless to say, the audience has changed. I am now talking to a lot of business people looking for data, variables, fixed spending, and other economic terms I haven’t learned yet. So in my repurposing I will change my vocabulary, replace the pictures with graphs and amp up my “profit margins?”

199829_538498306176364_2027658683_n.jpg

2 thoughts to “Blogging and Repurposing… Madelaine Mitchell-Ward”

1. Madelaine, I’m pumped to see what you do with your WSJ exposé of dance recital ticket selling. How are you feeling about the Journal’s format/style/tone? I think it’ll work if you really dive into your hard stats language and use some B-school attitude. What may be key for you is how focused you are on your audience (and their interests) throughout the piece. Work it, girl!

2. Madelaine- I am also looking forward to reading your Wall Street Journal article. Are you looking to target just any person involved in business or a specific audience? (Maybe those in the entertainment/marketing/advertising field). If you haven’t done so yet, I would definitely recommend reading through the WSJ online. There are many different genres your article could fall under and this may help to narrow down you audience. I am no expert in business, but do have some experience in the economics field. If you need any help or have any questions let me know. Good luck!