Can there be there such thing as a “reading draft”?

For today’s reading I read “Toward A Composing Model of Reading” by Tierney and Pearson. In the article, they argue that reading involves the same kind of recursive process that writing does, referring to this process as a “drafting” process akin to drafts for writing. While I agree that reading is a continuous process in which your first take on whatever you’re reading can evolve and change as you continue to consider and reconsider the piece, I would not necessarily call this a “drafting” process. When I think of the word “draft,” I think of storyboards, rough sketches, outlines, and other modes of planning for writing. It is confusing to consider the process of really actively thinking about reading a “draft” because of the current associations we all have with that word. I do agree that speed reading for fact retention is too static a process, and rather reading and analyzing our thoughts on readings ought to be a recursive and never-ending process like writing, I don’t think it makes sense to call this a mode of “drafting.”

That being said, I did agree with the piece when Tierney and Pearson recognize the importance of alignment when reading and writing. When reading or writing, you always play a role in the collaboration. Whether you feel like an outsider or an insider, a student or a teacher, a participant or an observer, both reader and writer always play some role. I like to consider writing (and reading) as a collaboration between reader, writer, and their respective backgrounds that they bring to the conversation. What I mean is, not only is our writing affected by our circumstance, where we live, how we grew up, our past experiences etc…but our reading is equally affected by such background. There is no such thing as writing in a pure vacuum for no audience! I like how the article recognizes this.

I’ll end with a visual idea of recursion…writing (and reading) never really ends, does it?

One thought to “Can there be there such thing as a “reading draft”?”

1. Hey!

haha so we already talked about this in class but I get what you mean about how traditionally, the notion of drafting is associated with getting all your ideas together in one place and focusing on the content that you want to be covered and the organization of it and how you want the readers to get the point. I also think of brain storming and outlining. At the same time, I appreciate how readers are going through the “drafting” process as well, since they’re outlining the points important and necessary to them, as they read the piece and do more research.