Students vs. Faculty

There are times when I identify more with the students as opposed to the faculty, and vice versa. For me it depends on the situations present.

When I am sitting in a large lecture hall of which the subject is one of the major core science classes (Chemistry, Biology, Physics) I identify, and feel more connected to the students. I feel the sense of pain caused by the stress from this class we all share. Most of us share the same goal of going to graduate school of some sort, and therefore our grades determine our admittance.  We all have the same goal, same stress, and face many of the same obstacles preventing us from reaching our goal.

On the other hand, I feel I identify more with the faculty when I am in a smaller lecture/discussion such as English classes and Sociology classes I have taken. In these smaller sized classes it is easier to see who does not care about the subject matter, who hasn’t done the readings, and who just doesn’t want to be in the class. I just can’t help but think, like a peer said in class today, “why are you here?” I feel bad for the faculty member trying to teach this class because I feel they are being disrespected by the student, and the student is wasting the teachers time. This is why I feel I identify more with the faculty; I scorn that student and feel bad for the teacher.

I guess to sum it up I identify with the students when I feel overcome with stress due to a particular class, and thus the faculty member teaching the class. But I identify more with the faculty when I feel students are disrespecting them.

One thought to “Students vs. Faculty”

1. When asked with whom I tend to feel more aligned – faculty or students – my immediate thoughts gravitate toward the faculty. When I consider the University of Michigan faculty members, they appear to me in the image of a constant thirst for knowledge and a commitment to craft. I subscribe to these notions, and my experience at the U of M, in many ways, reflects this. Last year, I too often sensed that students came to class uninterested and unprepared; as Margaret highlights, this conveys disrespect to a teacher only trying to enhance the students’ minds. Also, I found that many students lent great concern to the grades they received without minding equal or greater concern for the actual absorption of knowledge.

Margaret’s response reminds me that times exist when I do, in fact, coalesce with the student body experience. I feel united with other students in the shared sense of stress and the uncertainty in future employment opportunity. Often I relate to the comments made by a fellow classmate when he or she expresses frustration over the lack of hours in the day to complete one’s course load.

Despite the prevailing sense of stress felt by the students here, I believe that my attitudes about inquiry and knowledge parallel better with the faculty. It is in the faculty’s interest in the mastery of information – opposed to a focus on grades received – that solidifies this affinity.