The Question You Never Want to be Asked…

Preparing for an interview or even a class session, the one question you never want to be asked is “why.” Shouldn’t you be able to express your love of philanthropic organizations or your interest in a certain passage of narration without explaining WHY? The answer, of course, is no. The question words were introduced into human language for the sole purpose of expanding, explaining and clarifying. That big question mark at the end of the word is meant to push your thinking even further and maybe get you to consider the question in a completely new light. In this case, rather than considering the question I would not want to be asked, I am forced to ask myself WHY I write.

As I started to consider what writing means to me, the first thing that comes to mind is my love for language. While speaking is considerably the most effective way to communicate, many would agree that everything sounds better in writing. After thinking long and hard, I came to terms with the fact that I write to make everything sound better – which is exactly why I have spent time perfecting the wording of this short blog post rather than writing the bulk of my “Why Do I Write?” essay. Describing my fear of the term why? sounds better than expressing my difficulty in writing this essay.

With that, I’m off to write. Good Luck Everybody. And Go Blue!

4 thoughts to “The Question You Never Want to be Asked…”

1. I’m intrigued by your reason for writing! I’ve heard of people writing for aesthetic purposes but never for the reason you specifically listed. It made me chuckle slightly because one can take “to make everything sound better” in two ways. 1. You can take something normal and turn it into something beautiful sounding. 2. You can make something bad into something not so bad. I wonder if you’ll be testing the waters with both in response to the prompt.

2. You’ll find this comment quite random, I’m sure, but here it goes anyways. Your post made me remember this book called Solibo Magnificent that I read as a freshman in a comparative literature class. The basic gist was a question of written versus spoken word as Solibo–magnificent for his ability orate and deliver oral histories–is choked by “the Word” and dies (symbolic of written word supplanting oral histories in society and blah blah blah…). Clearly it’s been a minute since I’ve read this book, but my point is this: is either speech or writing really better than the other? I’m personally inclined to say no, and suggest that, especially in the tech age we live in, it’s never been easier to put the two together. I.e. how David Sedaris frequently records himself reading his essays to get 1. the effect of his writing and 2. the effect of hearing it read in his voice with all of his emphases. If you find speaking the most effective way to communicate but writing to be the more aesthetically pleasing, maybe you should consider merging the two.

3. “While speaking is considerably the most effective way to communicate, many would agree that everything sounds better in writing.” That is so true! Things do always sound better in writing, which isn’t quite fair. Speaking should be the best way to communicate but that is not always true. Maybe its easier to write down how you really feel when saying it in person is harder? Who knows but at any rate I really liked your take on this. Glad to have you in our group!