Why I Write Response

George Orwell’s statement “every book is a failure” is intriguing when related to his first motive of why writers write, sheer egoism.  Acknowledging such a motive is honest, yet curious when revisited after reading the latter half of his publication.  “All writers are vain, selfish, and lazy…” is another bold claim by Orwell.  It seems counterintuitive that Orwell would write about egoism and go on to list negative generalities categorizing writers.  Why does he do this? I’m not sure, if I knew I’d write about it.

After reading Joan Didion’s “Why I Write” it occurred to me that perhaps what Orwell was trying to say Didion said when describing herself as a writer, “not a good writer or a bad writer, but simply a writer, a person whose most absorbed and passionate hours are spent arranging words on pieces of paper.”  In today’s competitive world there’s a need to sort everything and it’s refreshing to, at times, take things at face value – the ‘it is what it is’ approach.

In my opinion the most interesting remark in “Why I Blog” is when Sullivan compares logs to blogs and acknowledges that when reading a log the reader knows the ending before the writer ever had the chance. As he writes on I found myself paying less and less attention. I found the length of his article slightly painful. Just as he states that “no one wants to read a 9,000-word treatise online” apparently I do not want to read 5,230 words on why he blogs.

2 thoughts to “Why I Write Response”

1. I didn’t think much of Didion’s comment regarding her writing skill level but your analysis made me realize that I relate with Didion very well in this aspect. I would not consider myself a poor writer, but certainly not an excellent writer either. However, I do enjoy writing. I have never decided why I enjoy writing but I think you make an excellent point which I very much agree with. Writing is a pace where I can slow down and write things as they are in my mind, “it is what it is.”

2. I really liked your comment about taking things at face value (relating to Didion’s piece). The competitive world can be so overwhelming so it’s nice to simply step back and absorb what you see (and in the case of writers, write about it).

Also, the length of Sullivan’s article was way too long, I would agree. I think it would have had more impact and better reflected his subject matter had he shortened the length. However, as I mentioned in my post, I really liked his breakdown of what blogging is because it made me appreciate this way of writing much more.