You can’t have one without the other

Craft of Research brings up the excellent point that we should not just accept every point made in our sources. When writing research papers I become so concerned about finding information that aligns with my points that I accept almost anything. I need to think more critically about my sources content. When learning the research process, my teachers emphasized what was considered a reliable source and what was NOT! I tend to focus more on the reliability of the source rather than its makeup. Although reliability of a source is important, I need to shift some of this energy in my research.

I also really enjoyed  suggestions for connecting the reader and writer by working in groups. I think this gateway class will be a great opportunity where we can utilize group resources to ensure  this connection. I feel that our peer editing has already helped the “Why I Write” paper we wrote.

Teirney and Pearson bring in the idea that the reader and writer must be connected as well. It is important for a writer to ensure their intent of the peice is clear to the reader. A good writer should be able to step back and observe if their writing is engaging or not. As a reader one must work hard to grasp what the writer is trying to portray. As Frank Sinatra said, “Love and marriage, you can’t have one without the other,” Teirney and Pearson claim: reading and writing – you can’t have one without the other.

I agree that reading and writing are strongly correlated and must be considered together. Do you feel that they are completely different aspects, or do you agree with Teirney and Pearson?

3 thoughts to “You can’t have one without the other”

1. I agree that I really like the group work we do in class. Our blog group is great and talking with you & Matt in class definitely helps me to formulate my ideas. I encourage you to continue to discuss your ideas when editing your “Why I Write” paper because I think it will help you solidify the structure of your paper.

I love your connection with Frank Sinatra’s quote. I had never thought about reading and writing really going together until I read these authors. However, I think that the two are definitely related. I think that your experience as a reader (how you take meaning from and construct meaning from a text) makes you a better writer because you know how these processes occur. In the opposite way, you can think about a writer’s perspective when you are a reader.

2. Although I would like to disagree with you, because you changed our group avatar, I tend to agree with everything you have mentioned. It’s easy to accept anything that’s not wikipedia when struggling to find sources. I haven’t given much thought to research my research, because that can lead to a seemingly never ending chain. I have also found our group discussions to be helpful even though I am the third wheel. And finally, Frank Sinatra was a good guy. I would agree with his logic as Teirney and Pearson argue that there is no great dichotomy between reading and writing.

3. I like that you posed the question at the end! It’s interesting because before, I saw them almost as separate things. But after reading Teirney and Pearson’s piece, I can’t help but think of them as interrelated actions. In addition, I agree with your point about the groupwork. It’s going to be extraordinarily helpful for us to have a group with whom we’re working with on our compositions.