Oh, Sweetland.

I won’t even lie, I’m not sure what to write about here.

I could write about taking English 225 as a senior and being bored out of my mind.

I could write about how I’m terrified to graduate because I have no idea where I will be in 8 months.

I could write about some of the cool classes I’m enrolled in this semester and the ridiculous sleeping habits they’re causing me.

However, I instead will write about Sweetland. This post is long over due and I feel that I should talk about how great Sweetland really is.

This summer, I had the privilege working with Naomi Silver, Christine Modey, Jennifer Metsker and Shelley Manis on the rubric for our final eportfolio for the Writing Minor. *Before I continue, please do not hate me if you score poorly on your eportfolio next semester.* This opportunity gave me the chance to not only work with 4 smart and funny women but I also had the chance to see other aspects of writing in academia.

First off, I spent time getting to know the faculty. It was fun to spend time with professors who have accomplished so much and to not be seen as a student. Technically I still was but they weren’t grading or evaluating me and really appreciated the opinions I had to offer, especially about language and style used for the rubric.

It was also awesome to get to see some of the behind-the-scenes activities at Sweetland, or the University in general. Learning more about what is required from my professors gave me a whole new appreciation for them.

However I will say the coolest part was spending time working on a project related to writing without having to do much writing at all. I did put together and edit an annotated bibliography for our research, but other than that most of the work we did was reading and putting ideas together. I love writing and I hope at some point I can just write for a living- but this gave me a new perspective on other jobs and needs in the writing field.

Please do not come after me if you hate the requirements for the eportfolio. I tried to have the Sweetland staff see things from a student’s perspective. I think they took my opinion into consideration several times, which was actually a really cool feeling. I’m sure there’s a better word I could use than “cool” but that’s really how it made me feel.

I guess the point of this post is just to say that when we’re all taking the capstone course and more focused on important life decisions in regards to graduating and finding jobs or going to graduate school, we should all realize what awesome company we are in. Take advantage of the peer tutors if you need too. Go talk to your writing professor about new writing opportunities coming up in the workplace. Actually do that reading and participate in a discussion about writing, which we all know won’t be happening for most of us after school. Use Sweetland and these amazing professors we have working here for us. They have a lot to offer that I think we often tend to forget.

Plus, I think they’re pretty cool, too! 🙂