A fresh take.

Honestly, I never thought blogging could be so much fun, or so helpful! I was originally worried that my blog posts would be too much like a diary, or “all about me” as Sullivan would say. While a lot of what I have posted have been related to my thoughts, they all relate to some project or reading, and aren’t just a ramble about my day. Sullivan talks about the brutality of instant response and feedback that comes along with blogging, but I’ve been using this blog as a way to get my ideas out to the world, and invite other people’s opinions. I think the main reason for this is that my pieces aren’t exactly politically or emotionally charged, and they’re designed to generate comments from the readers, not generate controversy (not that there’s anything wrong in doing so). Working on my blog and Eportfolio, I’ve been really looking forward to documenting my next trip through a semi-blog, both to remember what I did and learned, and also to share my experiences with the rest of the world.

I think one of Sullivan’s main point is that blogging in an engaging mode of writing and reading. I relate this with Tierney and Pearson’s point of keeping the audience in mind while creating a piece, and how when you’re writing, you should keep your readers in mind, and how they would perceive what you’re writing, as well as when reading, you have to understand that you bring your experiences and knowledge to the table and revise what has been written in your own head – so you should think about how you perceive something might be different than what the author intended. For my re-purposing project, I plan to re-purpose my resume into my Law School Personal Statement. In this sense, my personal statement will be read by the admissions officers at the law school I apply to, and it’s one of the very few ways they get to know me through the application process and decide if I’m a good fit for their school. I should keep this in mind as I plan the tone and substance of the piece, because while I would want to tell them every single thing that is important to me and makes me unique, admissions officers will be reading a large number of personal statements a day, and I need to keep mine to the point and as effective as possible.

I believe that blogging has many similarities and differences compared to writing a personal statement. Both blogging and writing a personal statement express your views and and show the world a side of you. At the same time, blogging has a more casual, wider audience, whereas your personal statement may be viewed by a few people but will be judged by 1-2 admissions officers. So essentially, if someone disagrees / doesn’t enjoy what you’ve written, they don’t get to provide feedback as you would while blogging, but rather they get to deny you admission into their law school. Basically, there are much higher risks involved, and the desire to please the audience (rather than engage them in a discussion) is ever present.

VS