A Serious Note on Cereal

I consumed an abnormal amount of cereal when I was a child.  Never will I forget the image of my “snack” cabinet back home: boxes upon boxes of assorted cereal.  Rasin Bran, Cheerios, Captain Crunch, Fruit Loops—the list goes on.  There were even unopened, replacement boxes towards the back of the cabinent just incase cereals being consumed ran out.  Or maybe these extra boxes were there for fear of an all out shortage at the grocery store…  

The significance of cereal in my life is much more that this, though. I must not look past the fact that—from the very beginning of my cereal eating days—I was forced to “mix” my cereals.  Fruit Loops wouldn’t do—it had to be a fair and even combination of Cheerios and Fruit Loops.  Want a bowl of Cinnomon Toast Crunch?  Throw some Special K into the bowl too, please.

Now, you may be asking yourself, “Why were your parents strange enough to enforce a “cereal-mixing” law?”  Well, friends, my father is a health and exercise freak.  And it is now obvious to me that Fruit Loops contains too much sugar for a growing boy; instead, it needed to be diluted with, say, Cheerios.  Moreover, it now becomes clear to me as I look back now on those days as a child—whether stemming from “mixed” cereals or consuming Gatorade instead juice in the morning—I was born a foodie.

I’m not so sure what I mean when I say the word “foodie” here.  I am certainly not in the category of gourmands, nor do I associate myself with pretentious connoisseurs. On the other hand, though, I do not eat abstemiously nor do I eat with unnecessary asceticism. I think that my concept of “foodie” stems from the fact that I am very aware of food. In terms of cooking, the “culture” of food, etc.  Or maybe it’s the fact that I am studying science and, in turn, have developed an interesting outlook on food with an eye towards nutrition and metabolism.

Instead, though, it’s probably both.  I think that I’m fascinated by the interplay between the romantic view of food—eating as a cultural medium—and the scientific view of food—eating in terms of health.

Like I said, I was born this way—mixing cereals from day one and trying to experience life through food.  And hey, there really is nothing like Fruit Loops mixed with Cheerios…

One thought to “A Serious Note on Cereal”

1. You simply haven’t lived until you’ve mixed Reese’s Puffs cereal with chocolate chips (you have to dilute all that peanut butter somehow, right?). And that is all I’ll say on the matter… except, I promise I use skim milk.

– Allie