Blogging about Blogging

So here I am again, blogging about blogging. I just finished another blog for different class I am in about Visuality and New Media and I am in one of those modes where I am so relieved to be done. A blog post about how iTunes has changed it’s “self-interpretation” through it’s multiple interfaces just wasn’t that fun to write. Compared to that “blog” assignment that had strict guidelines, a super specific prompt, and even a word limit, writing for this blog almost seems therapeutic.

After re-reading Andrew Sullivan’s blog after becoming such an “expert” blogger in the past couple weeks, I definitely think I took some different points from it this time I didn’t notice last time. I had never blogged before in my life before this class so when I read the Sullivan piece the first time I liked his ideas, but I didn’t really understand them, nor did I relate to them. Now I do.

He states, “ For bloggers, the deadline is always now. Blogging is therefore to writing what extreme sports are to athletics: more free form, more accident-prone, less formal, more alive. It is, in many ways, writing out loud.” I completely agree. When I am blogging, I feel as if I am just writing down my thoughts, and don’t have to worry as much about what I am saying as I do for other classes. I guess this is mainly thanks to the gamification grid, but also it is because of the freedom of blogging. I find this ironic from my initial views of blogging because at first I thought I would be nervous writing for blogs because anyone could read it, but now I find that I feel less worried. I guess Sullivan epitomizes this in a way when he states:  “To blog is therefore to let go of your writing in a way, to hold it at arm’s length, open it to scrutiny, allow it to float in the ether for a while.”

It’s funny though that I get this sense of freedom and therapy from this blogging but another assignment I have that is titled “blogging” is so the opposite. I guess the genres of blogging can differ as much as blogging can from other forms of writing. Yet as for the repurposing project, I am hoping that I will get the sense of freedom and enjoyment I get from writing these blog entries in that piece as well.

2 thoughts to “Blogging about Blogging”

1. Abby,

I totally agree. When I first read Andrew Sullivan’s “Why I Blog” I did not fully grasp the concepts that he was talking about. I had never truly blogged before either, so I couldn’t really relate to what Sullivan was commenting on about how exhilarating it is to be able to express your own ideas in this open, free, and immediately public manner. I also didn’t fully understand why this feeling would be so terrifying and nerve racking as well! Now after having blogged several times throughout these past few weeks, Sullivan’s words are resonating with me much more clearly.

2. “It’s funny though that I get this sense of freedom and therapy from this blogging but another assignment I have that is titled “blogging” is so the opposite.”

Ah, you stole my thunder! I was just going to say how I ironic it was to have a blogging assignment that is so incredibly structured and inflexible, to the point of even having a given word count. This sort of defeats the purpose of blogging, which both you and Sullivan describe as freeing, no? In its last analysis, I wonder if this can even properly be called blogging. I think I agree with you, though, that blogging is so broad as to also include what in this case is essentially essay-writing, even essay-writing done under the guise of blogging.