E-Portfolios and Thesis Cat

What reading experience do you want your audience to have, both of the portfolio as a whole (i.e., the navigation and layout) and of the particular artifacts you include (i.e., examples of your writing and other materials you choose to post

The very first thing I want the readers of my e-portfolio to experience is to feel guided. To me, I truly enjoy a website, blog, or composition when I feel that I am being taken along for a ride. It’s essentially a metaphorical train ride. I want my readers feel as if they are taking a train ride from the introduction of “Why I Write” into the very last artifact that I include.

Also, I want the layout to appear seamless so that finding what is necessary is extremely easy. If a reader wants to find a piece of writing that I created my freshman, I want it to be simply to find that. If a reader wants to learn more about me personally, I also want that to be accessible.

In addition, the e-portfolio needs to appear professional. I envision simple, clear cut lines and a clean template. I want employers to look at the e-portfolio and see the professionalism of the e-portfolio to equate to my potential as an employee. On that same note, this means that I need to be extra careful about what artifacts I include in my e-portfolio. Herein lies the difficult part. I have a difficult time discerning what writing pieces would be deemed as appropriate for professional purposes and which would be better left in the academic sphere.

Do you want your portfolio to be organized around a guiding theme or metaphor or thesis?  Do you want subthemes or subsections?  How explicit do you want the theme or metaphor or thesis to be?  Why?

Since I want to make my e-portfolio a major guided experience for the reader, the best way to do this is to organize it around a guiding theme or thesis. But…what exactly could this be? I don’t have a major amount of writings but for the ones that I do, they’re quite random. For example, I have essays on exoneration to essays on a conflict between Taiwan and China. So then, how can I possibly create a connecting theme or thesis?

The more frustrating part is that I want this e-portfolio to be made available to potential employers, and I’m currently looking at internships relating to economics. NONE of my essays that I’ve written in the past have any relation to economics whatsoever. Therefore, how can I make my essays on all sorts of unrelated topics appeal to my potential employers? Once I can finally find a connecting theme that somehow draws in all of my compositions into economics or public policy, then I’ll be golden. But at the moment, I think I still have a lot of brainstorming to do to find that very thesis.

2 thoughts to “E-Portfolios and Thesis Cat”

1. Gabriella,

I like your idea of the metaphorical train ride. When you’re reading something, there’s two things that could happen (that the writer probably doesn’t want): you could get distracted, or you get lost. Your Eportfolio would probably have the same problems, and so I feel like a map and link between everything would really help guide the reader to what they’re looking for!

I feel like you should decide if you want the Eportfolio to be a collection of all your work related to what your job focus will be, or rather a collection of writing to show your potential employers your writing skills and growth through college. Both have their own benefits, it probably just depends on what the employers in your field want to see. I’m sure even if they don’t all connect to economics or public policy, you should still be fine haha Especially if you do any of the pieces you were talking about in class, about Detroit or the financial crisis (?) you could easily relate that to 1) what you’re passionate about and 2) economics/public policy/making a difference/education!

Good luck!

2. I agree with Khushi–I love that you want your eportfolio to be easy to navigate…there is nothing worse than a confusing website. If you can make your site flow logically and clearly, then your organization and professionalism will shine through to an employer looking at the site regardless of the content. Just the fact that you will demonstrate to them your ability to communicate yourself in a new media form will be impressive!

Also, don’t stress about the fact that your papers don’t align perfectly with your job aspirations; show them that you know how to write in diverse situations, that you are creative and analytical, and that you know a lot about a lot. To me, I think a smart person with diverse interests and creativity is more valuable than a purely academic econ. major who lacks depth beyond economics.

Go for it, and good luck!!
    Amy