How She Writes

Last night, as Sheila Murphy spoke about How¬†she writes, I took the time to think about my own process of writing and how it differs from other writers. Many of the things she mentioned were very interesting, one being the importance of getting to know yourself as a writer. She discussed how she was able to finally “sit herself down” and start writing when she learned the best time for her to write (early morning, mid-day, late night) and made a personal space that was her own. Although these writing techniques do not directly apply to writing as a college student, they are still things to consider when writing any kind of piece at all. Even while working on my Re-Purposing Project, I like to work in the middle of the day and in my own personal space.

Another interesting aspect of her speech was when she spoke about audience. As Sheila said, “How great would it be to write something that my grandfather or father would enjoy,” and not just because I am their daughter or granddaughter. Although it is important to pick a specific audience in your writing, it would always be nice to write to a wide audience so that a wider variety of people can enjoy your work.¬†Sheila also talked about writing something that you are passionate about. She talked about her experiences in undergrad where she started on an art history path and continued to take more interesting classes as her interests grew. She also said that there is no way she would have made it through the nine-year process of writing a book if it was not about something she is passionate about. This inspired me to make sure everything I write is about something that I am passionate about and something that I want to learn more about.

2 thoughts to “How She Writes”

1. Although I was unable to attend the event, after reading your post I feel that our class aligns well with the points Sheila made. Our class:
    1. requires us to ponder and answer the question “Why do I write?”
    2. Emphasizing that our writing should be able to be applied to multiple audiences (As Sword stressed in Stylish Writing)
    3. Learning to write for one specific audience through our re-purposing project
    5. Writing what you are passionate about. We will learn either learn the benefits of doing this or the consequences of not doing this after sticking with the same topic through 2 projects this semester: re-purposing and re-mediating.
    It’s great to see that this class is teaching us things that are relevant to life after college. If a professional writer is emphasizing what we are learning than I think we are on the right track! And of course we have our very own professional writing teacher, Shelley Manis, to thank for this :). We are so fortunate to be learning from her first hand experience.

2. I found her talk really engaging and also found her discussion on getting to know yourself as a writer very interesting. It’s important to realize that when writing, your environment around you and mindset are almost as important as your actual writing skills. Though I’ve done a fair amount of writing throughout high school/college, I still don’t think I’ve figured out under what conditions I am a most productive writer. It’s something I’ll consider more deeply from now one though.
    It was also good to point out what she said about writing something you’re passionate about. Even if I were assigned to write about something considered “easy,” I would have a hard time doing it if I had no interest in it. Writing about something you are passionate about makes all the difficult parts of the writing process that much easier.