I’m not the only one!

I’m not the only one!  Listening to the speaker at this week’s How I Write gave me some really comforting insights into the lives of other writers, namely that they deal with issues of mental health too.  For me it’s anxiety.  Before I learned to deal with it, I lived in a constant state of tension: my heart always felt tachycardic, my eyes were always darting around, my shoulders were practically by my ears.  And you could see it in my writing, particularly journal entries and essays that afforded me some liberty to dive into my personal thoughts.  Then a doctor spoke the words that changed my life: “Exercise and vitamin D.”  It worked like a charm.  My writing no longer has that frantic edge, and I’m no longer on the perpetual verge of hyperventilation.  (Sigh of relief.)  So I suppose my general reaction would be, “Oh thank God, I’m not the only one with these problems.”  I realize I’m not, but sometimes, in the midst of an anxiety attack, it can feel like you’re just floating on your own.  It’s nice to have somebody reaffirm that there’s lots of other people out there floating with you.

One thought to “I’m not the only one!”

1. Yay! I can find your posts now haha.

So I think it’s great that you could really relate to Murphy and how she faced challenges in her writing but then sleep and medicine helped her, as well!

I think its great that you’re no longer frantically writing and while your old writing might have had a particular voice, this new and improved you seems to make your writing more logical and calm!

I look forward to hearing more about your projects!