Keep on blogging

At the start of this course, I was a little unsure about blogging. A lot unsure about blogging actually. I had never tried it before and I was not used to writing in a less formal tone. Nevertheless, I have become more comfortable with it and even turn to it sometimes to help me sort out my thoughts. As I mention in my recent post about my re-purposing project, blogging as turned into my stream of consciousness. I can toss ideas out into the blogging world and all of you lovely people can choose to comment and maybe help me refine my ideas! I have much more appreciation for the blogging process and it has helped me to approach my writing in general (not just blogging) in a more reflective, constructive way.

Sullivan’s piece on blogging has more significance for me now that I am forced to blog regularly. As I said, I appreciate the process much more now, and re-reading what he wrote even gave me new ideas on how to approach my future blog posts (I can give credit to Sullivan for reminding me that adding hyperlinks – see the hyperlink I added above – to blog posts is one of the powers of blogging). I am refreshed with the ideas that I can incorporate into my blog posts, many of which I have forgotten about/not made use of (i.e. pictures, videos, etc.).

A part of Sullivan’s piece caught my eye as I went back through it and that is the distinction between a “writer” and a “blogger”. The two are different largely because of the different approach they take to writing. A writer is assumed to have thought long and hard before writing, whereas a blogger does just the opposite. I think that this is interesting…can’t a blogger be a writer and vice versa? Maybe the two realms – writing and blogging – can be separated (for example, when Sullivan says, “The triumphalist notion that blogging should somehow replace traditional writing is as foolish as it is pernicious.”), but can you really separate a writer from a blogger? Just a thought as I re-read the essay…

In light of my re-purposing project of creating a travel essay, I will take a cue from Sullivan’s thoughts on blogging by infusing my personality into the piece. If I don’t do this, I think that my re-purposing will turn out dry and uninteresting – to both myself and any reader.

Blogging is definitely a different form of writing that what I have done in the past, but I think that there are valuable take aways from it.

4 thoughts to “Keep on blogging”

1. Andrea, I’m with you–a writer is definitely automatically NOT distinct from a blogger…blogging IS writing. I like the nuanced that Sullivan is trying to sketch out in that thought, but I, too, find it a bridge too far…So looking forward to your piece!

2. I believe what you quoted from Sullivan is on point. I think there will always be something unique about traditional writing and blogging will never replace it. However, this does not mean blogging and traditional writing are alien to each other.

A comparison can be made to dining. Dining under electric lights may be more efficient and practical, yet dining by candlelight provides an experience that will never go out of style. There are striking differences between the two, but in the most basic sense of each scenario dining is dining.

3. Our views on blogging have developed similarly. First we were unsure but now we realize how much it can improve our writing. Your comments on sullivan’s piece bring light to the great effects blogging has. I need to utilize these effects more as well.
    Although I could not relate well with sullivan, I feel that now I understand his points better. I am thankful for the the doors blogging has opened for my writing development.