Letters, Letters Everywhere!

Woody’s face pretty much describes how I feel right now…

It’s that time of the year, papers and midterms…and everything involves writing. The prompt for this blog post was to write about something writing related, and it really made me think of how much writing an average student does everyday! There’s my political science classes which involve papers and grant proposal writing, and there’s my psych classes which involve more papers and exams with “short” answers (which is equal to writing a long paragraph for each question, for 5 broad questions).  Then there’s writing emails to the Michigan Pre-Law Society members as the PR chair. Plus writing case reports and notes in my work as a facilitator at the Office of Student Conflict Resolution, which ends up equivalent to about 3-5 pages a day. Oh, and then you could add on texting, facebook wall posts, and editing my brother’s college application essays.

Out of a 24 hour day, I spend about 8 hours a day sleeping, 3 hours a day in class, 4 hours a day at work, 2-3 hours in meetings, which leaves about 3 hours of studying and 3 hours of relaxing/procrastination time. And writing is involved in almost every activity, except sleeping! It just really makes you appreciate assignments where you can do something besides writing – like our re-mediation project! I look forward to working with a new medium, and perhaps an entirely new presentation style!

Hopefully as I fall asleep tonight, I won’t be seeing letters 😛

2 thoughts to “Letters, Letters Everywhere!”

1. I know exactly what you mean Khushi! Being in a Writing Class and 2 upper level writing communications courses, I know exactly how you feel where I feel like I am literally writing all the time. I have an average of 2 papers a week I would say, and like you mentioned, on top of writing the amount we do for everyday life, it is a lot! I feel like I spend an hour a day writing emails alone. I wonder if we could go an entire day without “seeing letters” or writing. Due to texting and technology’s omnipresent force, I doubt it.

2. Sigh…I hear you. Sometimes I wonder if you took all the sentences, paragraphs, papers, notes, texts, emails and everything else we write and laid them out end to end how many miles we would have written in just a semester alone. On second thought…I think I’m happier not knowing. I guess if there is any silver lining to the sheer (and horrifying?) amount we have to write, it’s that we’ll be uniquely prepared for what’s out there once we graduate. And yet that’s not altogether comforting.