Ready, Set, Blog!

After re-reading Andrew Sullivan’s “Why I Blog”, I am having trouble containing my excitement for starting my own E-portfolio.  Sullivan explains the beauty of blogging in such a wonderfully direct way that I had never even considered before.  I think the reason why it is so exciting to me, and to Sullivan as well, is that with blogging – anything is possible. As Shelley always reminds us, “The world is your oyster”.  Blogging is unlike any other form of writing in that there are no rules, there are no restrictions, there are no guidelines.  It is purely you, in the most refreshing way possible.

“The simple experience of being able to directly broadcast my own words to readers was an exhilarating literary liberation,” says Sullivan.  This sensation of being able to overtly and whole-heartedly express yourself is both terrifying and exciting.  It is rare that you find such an opportunity to share your inner-most thoughts, feelings, and ideas with the world.  But it is for this reason precisely why blogging is so exciting to me.

As I have mentioned before, I have always wanted to keep a blog.  I have thought about it several times, even started to create one for myself once or twice, but I never actually end up going through with it.  I think it was because I was too nervous of what others would think of me when they looked at it, or I was scared that I wouldn’t be able to come up with anything to say.  But now since we are creating E-portfolios for this course, I have finally realized that it is for those exact reasons why I should start my own blog.  The whole point is that it doesn’t matter what people think of me when they look at it, because this is about expressing myself.   And the beauty of the E-portfolio is it can be anything and everything that I want it to be.

I can’t wait to get started, but first I will need to get through my re-purposing project….oy.

2 thoughts to “Ready, Set, Blog!”

1. Like you, I also always considered writing a blog but never did for the exact same reasoning. In the back of my mind I was thought i’d do the standard “i’ll start a blog when I go abroad” because my life won’t be interesting enough now to write about but when I am abroad I’ll have so many more adventures and since I cannot regularly communicate to home, people may actually want to read what I have to write. But now after beginning to blog in this class I am finding that I have more to write about as well, and I am finding I care less and less about what people will think as I write, as you seem to agree. Do you think you will make your own blog to post directly on the ePortolio or do you think you will use these posts?

2. Good reflections. I especially liked your point that blogging is about expressing your true self, not molding yourself into someone else to suite the expectations of others. What’s nice about this class is that we’re all in this together, in the sense that we will all be creating e-portfolios that uniquely reflect our distinct personalities and priorities in life. What’s also nice about this class is that we’ll have a specific audience for what we write. In other words, we know people will read it. This is quite a contrast to my previous experience maintaining a blog for my student organization. Unless I specifically sent the link to others in an email or posted it on Facebook, my posts would only get a handful of hits, most of which were probably me! Fortunately, in this class we don’t have to worry about blog/e-portfolio promotion–we already have a willing and eager audience in our fellow classmates.