School, Drones and the Future

There are three sides to every story, and one may be the truth.  This “theory” can apply to many conflicts, those as little as between two people and those as big as between two countries.

As a student, I understand that when given a lot of work to do in little time, life can be stressful and unpleasant.  As a reasonable person, I also understand the side of the faculty.  It is their job to teach a subject in a short amount of time.  This means they have to pile on the work in hopes that the information can be processed easier.  So there are two sides to this story.  Students do not want to be locked up in the library and their professors do not want the students to fail.

Although this example is simple and peaceful, the conflicts between countries are not.  Take for example the United States’ drone strikes in Pakistan’s tribal area.

As a US citizen thinking about why these attacks have persisted, and even increased, years after they began, I have found the relationship between the tribal areas and government of Pakistan very concerning.  From what I understand, the strikes are occurring because the US believes they are effectively killing people who pose a threat to national and international security.  There are many accidental victims because the US is guessing where the terrorists are hiding and Pakistan is believed to have more information about them than they are willing to inform the US.  So although I do not condone my own country deploying drones killing innocent people, I find it frustrating that Pakistan withholds information that could save many of their own peoples’ lives.

As a person, I find this topic of killing innocent people very unsettling and I feel great compassion for the civilians who were sacrificed.  Especially after reading the New York Times article, I feel like living under the continual noise of drones and witnessing violent deaths would be terrifying.  The people in Pakistan , or anywhere, should not have to live in such inhumane ways.

As someone thinking about the future, I find this pattern of increased drone strikes the most unsettling.  What has the intensity of violence turned into?  I feel as if the aircraft dropping these explosives were manned, the US would think harder about deploying the aircrafts so frequently because the life of the pilot is directly at stake.  This is not to say fighting in wars is less courageous or less dangerous, simply to say that the type of danger soldiers are exposed to has changed.  I fear the improvement in technology may not be an improvement after all, and could lead to increased attacks.  I finished reading about the recent drone attacks thinking about how the new technology of war could increase the ease of attacking people, making peace harder to accept.