screenwriting

I enjoy movies. When I was younger it was more for the on screen action, special effects, or whatever made the movie visually appealing. Even if I was watching something with a compelling script I was too young to recognize why it was well written. I think it is a tremendous display of teamwork and skill – a screenwriter’s words must be delivered through an actor/ actress that the screenwriter has little control over. ┬áSomething about well written movie quotes really resonate with me.

2 thoughts to “screenwriting”

1. What are some of your favorites? And why are they some of your favorites? Anything you might take away from them for your own writing? (She asks to gently push you toward more specificity…)

1. I appreciate being called out on this one, I have a tendency to leave thoughts open ended.

A quote and scene that comes to mind is from the final scene in the move “Blow.” Some context… Johnny Depp’s character, George Jung, is no younger a cocaine playboy. He is know locked up and the scene starts with Depp walking around outside within the gates of the penitentiary and Depp’s voiceover begins, “So in the end, was it worth it? Jesus Christ. How irreparably changed my life has become. It’s always the last day of summer and I’ve been left out in the cold with no door to get back in. I’ll grant you I’ve had more than my share of poignant moments. Life passes most people by while they’re making grand plans for it. Throughout my lifetime, I’ve left pieces of my heart here and there. And now, there’s almost not enough to stay alive. But I force a smile, knowing that my ambition far exceeded my talent. There are no more white horses or pretty ladies at my door.”

This quote always hits me hard and I could write pages about it. One way I relate it to my writing is, as Depp states, my ambition often exceeds my talent.