Setting a Time

After listen to Sheila Murphy speak the other day, I think that I can definitely relate to her presentation. I enjoyed hearing her insight on how she overcomes writing and how she always finds a time in the day to get some writing done. I can especially relate to how she prepares herself to write. Sheila allows herself to fool around for a little and go on the Internet, because that is clearly inevitable and is something that each one of us needs to get out. Yet, when she focuses on writing, she narrows in and only has her word processor open. She sets a timer for ten minutes and all she does for that period of time. While ten minutes seems so short, she explains how much you can get done and how it really helps with getting your writing started.

This is a technique I have also actually used. I too can attest that a great deal can be accomplished by really focusing in and investing yourself on a writing for a short period of time. Simply writing what comes to your mind without worry about the way it sounds or the structure can really help you get off the ground and get going. While the product of this writing may not be the most eloquent or perfect, it creates a needed foundation for you as the writer to further develop your thoughts and sentences. I look forward to continuing to use and explore this strategy with my writing in this class!

3 thoughts to “Setting a Time”

1. I love 10 minute idea! I think that it would definitely help get my writing started free from distractions if I did that. I also like what you say about just writing what comes to mind without worrying about how it sounds (this sounds like “Shitty First Drafts”…I think that was the reading?). I think that you can kill a lot of good ideas (or at least ideas that could be developed into good ideas) when you are too focused on making the sound good as soon as your fingers type them.

Also, how do you put pictures in your blog posts? I couldn’t figure it out 🙁

2. Brandon,

I love what your said about writing what comes to your mind without worrying about how it sounds! I used to always find myself going back after writing a sentence and trying find the exact words to make it sound perfect…and then completely forgetting what I wanted to say in the next sentence! Fail. So after reading “Shitty First Drafts,” I really tried to just get everything down on paper and then go back and organize everything and make sure what I’m trying to say becomes evident. This is what I used with my re-purposing project, writing my personal statement for law school, so now I’m in the process of going back and changing the structure of what I’ve written so its more organized!

I also really liked how Murphy talked about never writing on her desk, but always on the couch! I find that my ideas always flow better when I’m writing on my recliner or in bed – but I have to make sure I’m not sleepy otherwise I find myself taking long unnecessary naps haha.

Andrea – Hi! To add a picture when you’re writing a blog post, click on the little icon of a camera and musical note, which after “Upload/Insert” under where you insert the title (above the bold key)! Hope this makes sense – if not, I can show you in class 🙂

3. I thought it was interesting she just included procrastination time in her time allotment. I usually try to trick myself into just sitting down and starting work but that never materializes to much. I also concur with your belief that it’s more important to just get something written or typed than to worry about how it reads. Can’t revise a draft if you don’t have one.