Sincerely, Sarah

Holy excitement.

That’s how I feel about starting my E-Portfolio!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I named it Sincerely, Sarah. Since Tuesday, whenever I have a spare minute I mess around with my website. I’ve changed the theme a million times but I think I’ve found one that I like!

When I started working on it I first decided that I needed to figure out the purpose. Since I am applying to law school and plan on putting the link to my e-portfolio on my resume, I really want it to be very professional. I saw a lot of themes that I really liked because they were fun but I decided they maybe weren’t appropriate for the message I am trying to convey. I don’t want it to lose my personality though, so I decided on a theme with just a bit of color. I figure law school admissions looking at my site should see that I am more than just a good student and talented writer, but an outgoing and colorful individual, as well!

I also decided that I wanted to have two separate areas on my site… “professional” and “creative”. This way the viewer of the site can find exactly what they are looking for. I guess I hope that a law school admittance counsel would look at my argumentative writing but maybe also take the time to check out some of my creative writing, too! I think my engaging and outgoing personality along with my unique sense of humor is something that will set me aside from other students. My hope is that my e-portfolio will help me do that!!

I’ve considered the idea of music or media but I’m worried that it will take away from the professional aspect. What do you think? Maybe I could utilize media in the “creative” section of my site but veer away from it on the “professional” aspect? What about the theme? Is it appropriate? SO MANY QUESTIONS!!!!

Check it out here sarahlynvollmer.wordpress.com !!!!

4 thoughts to “Sincerely, Sarah”

1. I’d like to add that I have encountered a few minor issues.. all related to technology. I’m kinda debating upgrading so I can have more control over my site and be able to edit the font etc. Any of you considering that?

1. I’m in a similar position. I plan on applying to a handful of schools for a four year JD/ MBA program. I like your plan of sorting your writing by creative and professional. I think having this portfolio will be a unique addition to applications so an upgrade of 75 or whatever dollar amount is negligible in my opinion.

2. I agree with upgrading. I, too, plan on applying to law school and using this E-portfolio for a unique addition to my resume. The media issue is something that I am struggling with as well. While I want my portfolio to be professional, I would also like it to represent me, not only as a writer, but also as a person. I like the idea of sing a little bit of music as long as theres a reason for it! If you are using it just to have music in your portfolio, I would say stay away. It would not necessarily take away from the professionalism, but instead represent more of you as a person instead of just you as a writer! Also, I know we discussed this in class, but I love your idea of doing a professional writing section and a creative writing section. It shows that you enjoy writing, not just in the academic sense, but also for fun!

3. Ahh I love your portfolio title very, very much. Addressing your question about themes, I’m afraid you’re already a bit further along than I am. However, based on the screen shot you’ve taken above, it looks professional to me–it’s sleek, simple, and looks easy to navigate. All A+ qualities for a law school admissions type audience. Whatever ways you choose to alter it, I don’t think you can go wrong if you maintain a few of the things you’ve got going: clarity, simplicity, and a touch of you.