Struggles with the ePortfolio

First and foremost, this whole process is a little overwhelming. Never before have I attempted an online creation such as this one. I know my learning curve will be a steep one…

To start, who do I want my audience to be? I really like the idea of having a professional feel to the ePort. But on the other hand, I don’t think that that’s as fun and, at the present moment, as soon as I’m done with undergrad I’m outta here…I’m not planning on any sort of grad school (at least not for many years…), so I don’t know if I would really show off my ePort to anyone other than this class/interested friends. So, to make a long story short, I think that I have come to the conclusion that the audience of my ePort will be just that…myself, this class, and fellow students. I want to be able to express myself creatively rather than worry about a professional image.

When I was younger, I did a lot of scrap booking with my mom. Whenever we traveled in Europe we would scrapbook the pictures that we took and record our trips. I love designing by hand, whether it be unique handwriting, the layout of pictures, or picking the right colors to complement a theme. I’m hoping to be able to incorporate some of these elements into the layout of my ePort!

I want my layout to be simple for readers to follow (maybe taking a cue from Steve Jobs’ push for simplicity in every aspect of his life…have any of you read the Steve Jobs biography by Walter Isaacson?). I think that it is easy to become lost in a website and not know how to navigate around efficiently, so I hope to master Word Press enough that this will not be a problem on my page!

One of the other things I’m stuck on is what I want the theme of my ePort to be. Should the theme be related to writing or something broader about my life?? Any thoughts? How are other people approaching the question of a theme for your ePort?

2 thoughts to “Struggles with the ePortfolio”

1. First and foremost, I hope you stayed afloat this morning. I noticed a layout that caters to photos but you’d have to upgrade, if that’s something you are interested in doing. Regardless, I would encourage you do make your “ePort” creatively since you do not plan on using it in a professional setting. I appreciate your comment about simplicity as that is something I also desire with technology. Oftentimes it makes my life more complicated and that is not what it should be doing. My vote would be to make your theme something bigger than this class or this minor.

2. I think your eport should be about YOU! Use your creative side to connect how writing impacts your life. I think you could have a page for every trip you went on, considering traveling and living abroad has shaped the person you are today in so many ways. You could have captions and journal entry’s explaining your experiences while creatively posting pictures all around. Then you could have other pages with your academic work – and link it to you. You choose each topic for your writing assignments for a reason, and I think you will find they relate more closely to “Andrea” than you think. Also, you could describe other parts of your life using the journal “A Line a Day”. I think you have a lot of writing materials to work with – all relating back to you! I never realized how important writing is to your life, but it has seemed to consume a good chunk. I encourage you to link all of your writing’s together into an “about andrea” eport.