Writer vs. Blogger

Due to my late registration for this course, I was unable to discuss or blog about Andrew Sullivan’s piece “Why I Blog.” I read through the piece once, but it is certainly not the same without discussion – as Sullivan would call it, writing out loud. Luckily, I have the opportunity now to re-read and apply my thoughts of this piece to my thoughts about blogging and writing, specifically the blogging and writing I have been doing Writing 220.

“A reporter can wait—must wait—until every source has confirmed. A novelist can spend months or years before committing words to the world. For bloggers, the deadline is always now. Blogging is therefore to writing what extreme sports are to athletics: more free-form, more accident-prone, less formal, more alive. It is, in many ways, writing out loud.” This clever quote from “Why I Blog” created, in my opinion, a strong contrast between a writer and a blogger. This contrast allowed me to think of myself as a writer vs. myself as a blogger. The differences go on forever, even in terms of something that seems trivial in writing, like motivation. When I sit down to write a paper, I need to have sources, facts, quotes – all confirmed of course. Of course, I love writing..but I am at times completely unmotivated to do it. With blogging, however, I am already excited to write my blog for next week! I am excited to read my classmates’ blog posts, and I am excited to comment on them. I love Sullivan’s line “For bloggers, the deadline is always now.” Blogging is completely my voice right here and right now. My writing is in my voice as well, but with an academic filter. With blogging, ont the other hand, I feel that I am able to open up completely and just type what first comes to my head.

In a way, I feel that blogging directly relates to writing a shitty first draft. Because this is re-purposing rather than writing a paper from scratch, it is almost as if the shitty first draft is in front of me and ready for me to completely cut up and re-purpose. For this project, I am going to try to put my natural, free voice into my argumentative essay turned Michigan Daily news article. I have never written a formal news article before, so I will mess around with the wording and structure before finding what sticks. This is a great opportunity for me to try to show my voice through in a way very different from how I normally write.

2 thoughts to “Writer vs. Blogger”

1. Nice, Karly–I hadn’t thought of the re-purposing project as one that figures the original piece as the “shitty first draft.” Does that free it up for you?

2. Your opening paragraph made me think of the legion of bloggers that live-blog Apple events, like when the new iPhone 5 was announced, and they are constantly (like every 5 seconds) uploading pictures and commentary of the event. The more immediate the live-blog is , the more page views they get compared to their competitors. Cool stuff.