A Brokedown Melody

There is a short section from one of Jack Johnson’s surf films, A Brokedown Melody, that I always enjoy. I couldn’t post the whole video so I found a clip of the section I am referring to, specifically 1:31 – 1:47 (Brokedown Melody Trailer).

Simplicity should not be underestimated as a tool for effectiveness.  As I get older my vocabulary increases, my thought process, at times, becomes more complex, and there is increasing pressure to be professional. Sometimes I forget that it’s alright to be simple when writing. It’s easy to try to construct a profound argument in order to sound educated and feel confident that a higher grade will be awarded or adults will see a certain level of maturity. I understand there are times when more complex language is needed, however I firmly believe simplicity will never go out of style.

One thought to “A Brokedown Melody”

1. YES! Love it and totally agree. A lot of the time, things just sound better when they’re said more simply. If you’re trying to be super complex with vocabulary, etc. it has the potential to come off sounding completely wrong and like you’re trying to hard (which reminds me of the discussion we had in class a couple of weeks ago). This class has made me appreciate writing simply.
    Also, the word “simplicity” always makes me think of Steve Jobs and Apple. I feel like that company does this quite well with their ads.