Facebook Facade

Facebook has given us a means to put on a persona that we are able to present to the world. Everyone does it, whether it is a conscious decision or not. The thousands of pictures on a Facebook page tell a story. I know that when looking at my Facebook, my family and friends make assumptions that I am always with friends, always having a good time, and could possibly come to the conclusion that I attend social outings more often than I spend time in class. In reality, I dedicate the majority of my time to studying, find myself constantly stressed and overwhelmed with work, and stay in on Friday nights when I have an exam the next week. This is clearly not the picture I want to paint of myself to the public. Coming across as fun loving and carefree suits sounds much more appealing.

The ability of tagging or un-tagging pictures adds to our online-mask. Facebook allows us to create posts, status, “like” certain pages, join groups, and publicize events to hundreds of friends. This ensures that the person we make ourselves on Facebook is calculated and well devised. It takes effort to build your page into the best “you” and Facebook gives us the tools to do so.

While I don’t think that this is a lie, it is defintely a falsity. We are putting our best foot forward and using social media to tell a narrative of our ideal selves, but these selves are not the same ones that wake up without makeup, in sweats, eating cereal straight out of the box. So next time you go on your page and un-tag yourself from the unfortunate picture you took last night, think about what the click of that button means.

One thought to “Facebook Facade”

1. Rachel,

I totally agree with your assessment, but do you think this will ever change? While I am capable of admitting that I am guilty of “putting my best foot forward” on Facebook, I am not sure I would be willing to do anything different. Unfortunately,we live in a critical and judgmental society that pressures us to always look and act our best. While Facebook is nothing near accurate, it is completely by our design. We choose what pictures to upload or to keep tagged which can sometimes make us feel control over our otherwise out of control lives.

Thanks for the great post!

Emily