[Pika!] Does Twilight Ruin Lives

I really have no clue how this though crossed my head as I’m sitting at my desk trying desperately to distract myself from my piles of homework and cluttered room. Normally in situations like this I find myself on Facebook or tumblr accounts. But regardless it has crossed my mind. I’m wondering if Twilight ruins lives because it creates unrealistic expectations for boyfriends. I feel like girls shouldn’t expect their boyfriends to be 100% perfect. Nobody has the perfect personality, body, family, and is dirty filthy rich. I wonder how many girls have broken up with their boyfriends citing reasons like, “you’re not my Edward”, “why can’t you love me like Edward loves Bella” Edward blah blah perfect blah. I actually remember the first time I saw Twilight in theaters. My three friends and I walked out talking about how our boyfriends sucked (Which in retrospect is true. They really were awful) but we only began talking about them because of just recently watching the movie. So is Twilight causing girls to have unrealistic expectations and thus setting them up for heartbreak when their realistic other falls short of Edward or ¬†should guys get their act together and be more like Edward or get the boot?

If #teamEdward and/or #teamJacob starts trending on Twitter I will lose it. We all know she stays with Edward so whats the point of being team Jacob?!

4 thoughts to “[Pika!] Does Twilight Ruin Lives”

1. I actually never read/saw Twilight, but I have thought about this more generally. Chuck Klosterman talks about it in an essay in which the first line is, “No woman will ever satisfy me.” He goes on to say, “I notice that [Americans] all seem to share a single unifying characteristic: the inability to experience the kind of mind-blowing, transcendent romantic relationship they perceive to be a normal part of living…in the nineteenth century, teenagers merely aspired to have a marriage that would be better than that of their parents; personally, I would never be satisfied unless my marriage was as good as Cliff and Clair Huxtable’s (or at least as enigmatic as Jack and Meg White’s)…The main problem with mass media is that it makes it impossible to fall in love with any acumen of normalcy.”
    Sorry for the long quote! But I think it’s really relevant to your post. I felt the same way after seeing 500 Days of Summer that you did after seeing Twilight, except I found myself feeling bitter because I’ll never be as adorable, quirky, or well-dressed as Zooey Deschanel. She’s become the ultimate “indie girl”.
    I also wondered how many hipster couples would go on Ikea-dates or make a big deal of going to record stores and listening to The Smiths after seeing that movie. That scenario may be natural and fitting for some couples, but it’s certainly not something to imitate or to force.
    Anyway, I don’t really have a concrete answer to your question, but I guess I’d say that to me, it’s not so much about having unrealistic expectations as it is having irrelevant expectations. As hard (and maybe impossible) as it is, I think we need to at least try to separate our lives from the lives of fictional characters.

2. While I am not a huge Twilight fan, I definitely am guilty of seeing a few of the movies. I can see where you are coming from in thinking that movie characters like this will cause girls to develop unrealistic expectations about relationships. However, I think this is true in almost any movie or TV show in today’s day and age. The way that boyfriends are portrayed in most movies is like “prince charming”. On the other hand, the same argument can be made about boys thinking all girls should be like they are in movies. I agree with Neeyati that we need to try and separate our lives from the lives of fictional characters.

3. I’m not a girl so please take my observations with a grain of salt. Whenever I see a movie and really love the main feminine lead, I don’t compare my female friends to “her.” I definitely think that movies do impact how people see themselves and probably do play a role in shaping the way that young men/women wish to be perceived. Yet, I’m not sure how much people compare their friends to “movie stars.” I think it’s actually more realistic that people compare their friends to people who they personally know and see often. Just my thoughts. Really interesting, thought provoking post!

4. This is really interesting! The Twilight series actually concerns me on a totally different note. I’m not too worried about women dumping their boyfriends because he’s not like Edward. I feel like you would have to be very out of touch with reality to dump your boyfriend because he wasn’t like a vampire from a book.
    What concerns me about Twilight is that Edward is obsessive, controlling, and a full-on stalker, and this is shown to be normal and signs of devoted love. Women SHOULD dump their boyfriends if they are like that. Also Bella is such a terrible, terrible role model for girls. She is weak, insecure, and falls apart without Edward there. Bella’s weakness being romanticized is dangerous to girls who are trying to find an identity and form a healthy self-concept.
    As a sidenote, my aunt actually did divorce my uncle after becoming obsessed with the 50 Shades of Grey books. I’m not saying there’s causation but there is correlation…