[Pika!] How Do You Study?

So, as I sit here, trying to balance homework with, well, fun, I realized that I have a form of working that might seem odd (at least to some).

Whenever I need to sit down and get some serious work done, I usually do one of two things: put on headphones and play music to block out the rest of the world, or put on one of my favorite movies and listen to it as a sort of white noise in the background.  Today, I went with the latter and decided to put on Up in the Air while I work on Latin (as well as this blog post).

See, for me, I need some sort of background noise.  I have tried working in complete silence and it does not work well.  I get antsy.  It’s just too damn quiet with no noise in the background.  For some people, absolute silence is the best way to focus.  For others (like myself), it just doesn’t work.

In addition to this, I typically work best at night.  There is just something about nighttime that makes it easier for me to focus.  Maybe it’s because everyone is too busy sleeping to update Facebook, or maybe it’s just that I like being in my own little “night owl” club when I work, but whatever the case may be, I work best at night and with some music or a movie on in the background.  It works best, and it’s what really gets me working well.

So, class, my question to you is this: how do you study/work best?  Are you like me?  Do you think my method is crazy?  Or are you somewhere in between the two?  Or are you maybe even somewhere completely different than any of these?  I’m curious to see what everyone else does to study best.

Oh, and because no post is complete without a random picture that just barely relates to the topic, here’s George Clooney.  Bustin’ some moves.

5 thoughts to “[Pika!] How Do You Study?”

1. Yes, you are crazy. I’m probably only saying this out of spite because I am jealous though. If I could listen to music/tv while studying I feel like I would be a happier person. My prime studying is done when I am in my room, none of my roommates are home, and it is dead quite. I bribe myself with food too. I’ll go to Kroger buy a giant bag of Candy Cane Hersheys Kisses and make a deal with myself that I can eat the entire bag as long as I finish assignments X, Y and Z. I also have to lock my cat out of my room when I am studying. I can not tell you how many times I have realized I wasted 20+ mins watching my cat chase his tail when I was supposed to be studying. I will agree with the whole night owl thing though. Whenever I pull all nighters I feel like I get the most done between 4 and 7 am. because nobody is awake for me to text, facebook ect.

After re-reading this post for spelling mistakes I now realize I sound like the crazy cat lady…..
    http://whatshouldwecallme.tumblr.com/post/21662354716/my-greatest-fear-about-adulthood

2. I have never heard of a person playing a film in the background to facilitate studying, but that idea is deliciously inviting. Silence does not suffice for me, so I listen to really inspirational items.

Currently, I am obsessed with the trailer for the film Life of Pi. In fact, I can’t stop watching and listening to it. The golden hues, the neon whale, the struggle and triumph… it is all too captivating to resist.

Also, I frequently listen to William Ernest Henley’s poem “Invictus” through the recitation of Alan Bates. It is so moving, and its power never relents.

I love to arise in the early mornings, around 4am, when it seems the entire world is asleep. To begin the day with a 5-hour study session and the black coffee…ah! perfect!

Following the linking trend that Mitch and Maggie have so generously demonstrated:

the Life of Pi: http://www.youtube.com/user/thelifeofpimovie?v=mX2HBsHbNZM

“Invictus”: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pJcwnS1c0I

3. This is often a delicate dance for me. On one hand, I like the silence-the less distractions, the easier it is for me to concentrate on the task at hand. On the other hand, a lack of music becomes incredibly boring and ends up leading to the inevitable wandering onto my favorite websites-espn.com is by far my most frequently viewed website. My solution has been to play the quietest/softest music I can find. This semester has been full of Coldplay, Rascal Flatts, and the recently downloaded Styx Greatest Hits album (it was my Dad’s favorite band in the 70’s, don’t make fun).

By the way, the scene Erica laid out, “I love to arise in the early mornings, around 4am, when it seems the entire world is asleep. To begin the day with a 5-hour study session and the black coffee…ah! perfect!” sounds absolutely horrible! I could never do that nor do I ever want to do that. However, I too cannot wait to see Life of Pi! I read it in high school and is one of the few books I really enjoyed reading during high school.

If we are linking to unrelated things, here is my alltime favorite Youtube video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bRjnUqzseU

4. Mitchell,

Our study habits are COMPLETE opposite! As soon as the sun goes down (which is a lot earlier lately) I am totally checked out of studying. I must get all my work done before dinner, because after that I find it impossible to concentrate. I also cannot concentrate with any noise, unless it is relaxing soft music in my headphones. I can’t imagine doing homework or studying with a movie on in the background!

Last night I was doing some work, but it was not anything that serious so I thought it would be acceptable to watch the AMA’s in the background. Even then, I found myself so distracted (especially when Justin Bieber performed). It is really interesting that everyone is different when it comes to studying. Unlike most people, I do not do any of my work in the library. I actually have not been there once this entire year! I do most of my work in my room or in coffee shops, or random study rooms where I see absolutely nobody.

Thanks for sharing all the clips. Now I am even more distracted than I already am!

5. I really don’t work very well while listening to the TV. I am either paying attention or I’m not, I have a hard time writing or reading and listening to whatever the person on TV is saying as well. But I can work just fine in busy public places. If it is sort of a white noise, a buzz in the background, then it doesn’t hurt me at all. If anything it helps me because I have to tune it out to work, and so I end up tuning out everything except my work. When I am working in a quiet place I don’t have to actively focus and so my mind looks for stuff to focus on. If it’s music I don’t know very well I can work with it playing in the background, but if it’s a song I love and know all the words to I have more trouble. I usually only listen to music while doing homework if I am trying to stay awake.
    And thank you for those gifs of George Clooney!