[Pika!] Reading for fun?

Growing up, I always enjoyed reading an assortment of books purely for enjoyment. As I got older, I was assigned much more reading for school so reading for fun unfortunately was not a priority.  Recently, I have tried to read books that I enjoy before bed instead of watching TV.  I find that it is much more relaxing, and I have an easier time falling asleep.  The book that I am currently reading is called Kasher in the Rye: The True Tale of a White Boy from Oakland Who Became a Drug Addict, Criminal, Mental Patient, and Then Turned 16 by Moshe Kasher.  So far it is really hilarious and entertaining, and is a good change of pace from my rather “dry” assigned reading. Now that I am writing so much in my classes, it is interesting to read different kinds of books to take note of unique styles and tones.  Not only is reading fun, but it is also extremely important when focusing on my own writing.  I am curious what the last book (or current book) that you are reading for fun is? If you need an excuse to get a book for sheer enjoyment, “Cyber Monday” is tomorrow and the deals on Amazon.com may be hard to pass up!

5 thoughts to “[Pika!] Reading for fun?”

1. Hey! I’m about to start reading The Road by Cormac McCarthy and I’ll let you know about that book after I finish it. My all time favorite book is The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde. It’s even available for free online at the University of Michigan Library system. Wilde is extraordinary at describing and writing about the thoughts that characters are having. I’d highly recommend it.

2. Reading for fun is how I got through high school! I would read every night before I went to bed as a way to wind down from a long day of school and sports. Unfortunately, the hectic-ness of college hasn’t allowed me to continue this tradition. Because of this, I try to take advantage of winter/spring/summer breaks to unwind and get some enjoyable reading in. Over the summer, I spent a lot of time reading the Game of Thrones books. They are long and detailed and not particularly easy to get through, but they are incredibly well written and interesting once you get into them. I also love reading good mystery/murder books, so the Alex Cross series has become one of my favorites. I’m always open to new suggestions though, so if anyone has suggestions on good mysteries and/or good fantasy books, let me know!

3. I almost never read for fun during the school year anymore. It’s too hard. Especially because I have an eye muscle issue that makes it hard for me to read too much in one sitting, so I have to focus on required readings, and by the time I get through that my eyes are too tired.
    I do agree that reading helps me with my writing. I’ve been trying to read as many different styles as possible, and I have a huge list of books I want to read or re-read. Which is why I always look forward to Christmas break. I’ll have nothing else to do except read and relax, which is GREAT. I’m going to start reading the first Game of Thrones book. I’m excited!

4. I have the amazon kindle app for my iPad so I am currently in the process of reading a few books. The book I am the furthest in is “Untoachable” by Scott O’Conner although Im trying to read “Gone With the Wind” but its so long and boring and I already know the major plot lines (but I promised my roommate I would read it because its her favorite book). I love reading for fun and will do a lot of reading over the winter break. The reason that I do not read much now is because I feel like there is no time. I love watching television series before bed and am not willing to give that up.

5. I am in the process of reading “The Three Musketeers” by Alexandre Dumas. I downloaded it for free on my tablet just because I realized I could, and I read the first page just to see what reading on my tablet was like. Well I am halfway through the book now and I love it! I think it is really funny. And not just suggestive-word puns like in Shakespeare, but stuff that I can easily recognize as funny without a bunch of background on the double meaning of some old English word.