[Pika!] What’s The Truth Behind Privacy?

After seeing most of my Facebook mini feed blown up with copy and pasted statuses about privacy laws, I decided to do some of my own research.  I found a useful article on Forbes that explains the truth behind Facebook’s new regulations.  As expected, it explains that the status is useless in protecting us from the privacy laws of Facebook. The article argues that people posting status like this shows that users are untrusting of Facebook in general.  After thinking about it, I guess I am.  I try to keep my Facebook appropriate so that it won’t infringe on future jobs or internships or cause a fight with a family member, but maybe having a Facebook in general is the real issue.  While I do not think I can live without my Facebook, I do sometimes wish it did not exist at all.

Check out the article here: http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidthier/2012/11/26/why-you-cant-protect-your-facebook-privacy-with-a-wall-post/?utm_campaign=forbestwittersf&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

2 thoughts to “[Pika!] What’s The Truth Behind Privacy?”

1. Very timely post. Yes, it really seems that everyone was fooled.
    That being said, I don’t really think that Mark Zuckerberg is a huge believer in privacy because too much privacy man run counter to Facebook’s mission. After all, Facebook is meant to be an online representation of oneself and that can only happen with open dialogue.

Fascinating that many people immediately believed the their posts could be used without their permission. Illustrates the lack of trust that users have with Facebook.

2. Yeah I’m not surprised that posting a status does nothing. Now that I’m older I try to be more careful with my name online, but when I was in middle school I had a formspring with my full name and dumb questions my friends asked that I can’t figure out how to delete because I don’t even know what email I signed up with. It’s creepy to think that there’s something out there with my name on it that I can’t get rid of.