Sword Precis

Hooks and Sinkers

Although not every piece of writing begins with an interesting “hook,” most of the successful pieces do. Authors are aware that if they can keep your attention for the first three pages, they probably have your attention captured for the remaining contents of the book. Every scholarly subject has its own way to secure their readers attention. Historians begin with a specific event within a certain time period, literary scholars use meaningful quotes, science writers bring light to a fascinating fact, and the list goes on. It is important to all writing to captivate the audience early on. It shows a reader that you are, “willing to work hard to catch and hold their attention.”

2 thoughts to “Sword Precis”

1. I definitely agree with this. If I am interested right off the bat, I find it easier to stay engaged throughout the rest of the piece. Part of this is because I want to dig deeper into whatever piqued my interest, but it also happens because my attention level has been raised and stays at a high level for the duration that I am reading. In a book I am reading about campaign finance and corporate lobbying reform, the author started the first chapter with a vignette about an experience he had on the beaches of Costa Rica in 1991. This is obviously an unexpected way to begin such a book, and it compelled me to keep reading.

2. I, too, agree with this, but not entirely. I can’t even tell you how many times I have picked up a book and put it down halfway through. I probably do that with half of the books I start reading. The beginning if definitely a “hook” in that I become engaged immediately. However, if the middle of the book does not keep me interested, I give up completely! Its definitely important for writers to spread the engagement throughout the novel or story or whatever it may be. They need to keep readers interested the whole way.