Thanksgiving Daze…

Because I was literally in a Thanksgiving Daze and completely forgot to blog about the “How I Write” event before break, I am taking the time to reflect on it now. Better late than never, huh? Thomas Hager spoke in depth about a number of interesting things having to do with his personal writing process. The most important thing i gathered from his presentation is that science is not boring! He talked a lot about wanting to “be read” but also writing about things that you want to write about. Because of his expertise and interest in the scientific field, he is able to do both. In his speech, he highlighted the importance of research. He described some anecdotes about where his research took him. In attempts to find out more about one historical event, Hager traveled all the way to South America just to feel the soil that was a part of this event. As he said “It may have only been one sentence in my book, but the research was definitely worth it.” However, he also advised audience members that there is a time and a place to STOP research and get to writing. This relates perfectly to the redmediation project we are all working on now. Since my original research paper written two years ago, there are millions of articles, interviews, and video clips about adderall that I can use for my project. Each time I set out to search the internet, I am finding myself pulled in various directions and not really knowing when enough is enough with my research. Although I can learn some really interesting things from my research, i need to keep in mind that my final product is my main concern. At this point, I have definitely done enough research…it’s just figuring out what to do with all of this research!