Twitter CEO Dick Costolo Speaks at U of M

I was fortunate enough to hear Twitter CEO, Dick Costolo speak on behalf of the Ford School of Public Policy and the School of Information at the University of Michigan. On Friday, November 16, Mr. Costello addressed a large crowd of students and faculty at Rackham Auditorium, where he discussed the history of Twitter, the significance of Twitter, and where he sees Twitter going in the future.

Photo by: Sydney Berger

Twitter is a revolutionary platform because it enables every user to express his or her voice. Regardless of who you are, where you come from, what your profession is, or what your opinion is, you have the power to voice “or write” your thoughts in 140 characters or less. Mr. Costello said the concept of “140 characters” is magical, and provides “a super low barrier to publishing.” He said, “We’ll never change it.”

Twitter allows us to instantly connect, instantly respond, and instantly share what’s important to us. As a writer, reader, or a viewer, “If we have a shared experience on a second screen,” Costolo says, “There are all kinds of other cool things we can do.”

3 thoughts to “Twitter CEO Dick Costolo Speaks at U of M”

1. Hmm. I am interested on your thoughts on twitter. Personally, I find it fairly pointless. Nothing is more annoying than reading hashtags or reading a tweet that has been cut off, only to be continued in 3 or 4 more 140 character posts. Twitter seems to be to only consist of celebrities and musicians…and all the people obsessed with them. Obviously, this a pretty cynical take on Twitter, but I’d be interested to know. Do you actually interact with friends on twitter, or just follow people you are a fan of?