[Pika] Everything Happens For a Reason…Or Does It?

Anytime I think the world is ending and I call my parents hysterical, they always calmly remind me that everything happens for a reason.  While I am not sure I believe that there is a reason behind me failing an exam, I do believe there is truth behind these words.  Do you believe that everything happens for a reason or is this simply something that we tell ourselves so we can live with our mistakes? I am curious to discover why or why not you believe what you do, and would love to hear some examples to support your position.

4 thoughts to “[Pika] Everything Happens For a Reason…Or Does It?”

1. I do not believe that everything happens for a reason. Some things yes, but not everything. There are too many unnecessary tragedies for me to buy into such a claim. However, I think the truth in the cliche is that when unfortunate or tragic events take place in our lives we should use the new perspective to better ourselves – which is to make the most out of the situation. This is often how a sequence of events starts to seem related… learning from one event that helps manage another event and so on.

2. Yes, I agree with Matt. I typically take the approach “make the best out of every situation.” For example, if I perform poorly on an exam, I ask myself “what can I do better moving forward?” I don’t necessarily believe that I was “meant” to perform poorly on the exam but I take steps to ensure that it doesn’t happen again.

3. Yeah I definitely think there are significantly more tragedies than happy accidents in the world. But it is a very comforting thought after some simple misfortune that “it’s for the best.” If I don’t get to do something I really want to do, an easy way to get rid of regret and disappointment is to say to myself “well it probably wouldn’t have been fun anyway.”

4. I agree with parts of all of these posts. I think that a lot of things happen for a reason, but I also think people use that phrase as a way to let things just happen to them rather than them making it happen for themselves. Another phrase that I find a little bothersome is “if it’s meant to be, it’ll be,” which is pretty much the same idea. I think that we say these things to make ourselves feel better about a certain situation that we wish would end up differently in the future, that way, if it doesn’t end the way we want it to, we can say that it wasn’t meant to be or that it wasn’t meant to happen.