The Perfectionist Procrastination Problem

We’re almost there, the semester finish line is in sight, but it’s that part of the race where it’s taking everything you’ve got just to keep moving.  At least I’m finding that this EPortfolio is finally starting to come together navigation-wise…if only in my mind and not yet online.  But progress is progress and I’ll take it.

What I want to know is…does anybody else find that at this stage of the game they’re second-guessing all the minor appearance choices and little details that make your portfolio what it is?  And if so, how are you choosing to deal with it?  I find that when I’m this stressed over my mountainous finals to-do list, I psych myself out so much that I end up getting very little done.  For instance, every time I log in to word press and start to work on my portfolio, I immediately want to scour the theme options and try one more, just to see how it looks, and then maybe just one other, because maybe that’s the one that will make everything perfect and cohesive the way my inner perfectionist wants.  And suddenly it’s been an hour and I’ve accomplished nothing.  So has anybody else hit this perfectionist procrastination problem?  And if so, how are you handling it?

4 thoughts to “The Perfectionist Procrastination Problem”

1. I feel your pain, Kat. I’m terribly overwhelmed every time I try to chip away at the mounds of works that sit before me. I can’t see the finish line yet, sadly enough. And I’m not so sure that I’m handling it well at all. One day at a time. One thing at a time. One cup of coffee at a time. My best friend sent me a quote this morning: “Courage does not always roar. Sometimes courage is the little voice at the end of the day that says I’ll try again tomorrow.” Hang in there.

2. Hi Kat, I too am unsure about the structure that I’d like my portfolio to take. I think that I’ve done a good job with the writing element but I’m unsure about how I should structure it on WordPress most effectively. Sometimes I think the best option is just to “try something out” and then edit it afterwards. At least then you’ll start moving in the right direction. Good luck.

3. I think we all do this, at some point you just have to pull the trigger and work with what you have. I hope all went well if you’re not finished yet, and congrats if you are!