A Depiction of Plantation Life: Too Sweet to Trust

I was intrigued by this blog, “Life on Hawiian Sugar Cane Plantation” because my grandma was born and raised on one.  Her parents were workers on a plantation.  Life was rugid even in the twentieth century.   When I followed the authors link to an example of restored plantation workers cottages, I was taken to pictures of luxurious pools, roads lined with grass and tall trees, freshly painted cottages.  This was not the same plantation lifestyle my mom saw in the 1960’s when she visited her grandparents: dusty roads leading to shacks on stilts, an outdoor kitchen below, and the out-house half a mile away.  This depiction of plantation life said that the life of a plantation worker was “hard” but did not make much of an effort to truly display the hardships.

http://plantationlifehawaii.blogspot.com/

-Zoe Kumagai

Zoe Kumagai

Before coming to Ann Arbor the only home I habited was in small foothill town at the crest of Los Angeles. I was raised on white rice, basketball, and Shin Buddhism. My side kick is a six-foot tall, German double bass. I major in Music Performance. I am a peer tutor for the Sweetland Center for Writing and mentors in the Ypsilanti Youth Orchestra and the Dearborn Youth Symphony. If I found a genie in a bottle I would wish for lactose-tolerance, an afternoon rollerblading with John Cage and a nose-warmer.