“Ghost Tweeting” might just be all the rage for writers

Ever wondered, “Gee, I wish I could Tweet for a living,” as you daydream in Raymond’s class? Better question, have you used the word “Gee” since the 1990’s?

Well, consider this. As companies grow their brand into new media they need someone in charge to represent them on spaces like Twitter. With only 140 characters, one person is responsible for promoting contests and events, reaching customers, increasing exposure and representing the image and mission of a company can be difficult and requires conciseness. Furthermore, it requires someone to represent the faces of up to hundreds of employees in limited space.

Perhaps you have a Twitter and follow President Obama, Oprah or Justin Timberlake. They too also have someone tweeting for them.

If you’re curious as to who runs these pages, I would direct you towards this page, which has forty of world’s biggest companies and the people that run their Twitter.

Now, Ghost Tweeting or working as a Twitter Butler have taken professional writing to a new level.

Now, emerging writers  like us can act as the voice for someone else through social media for a living. The reality is that constructing an organized thought still takes time an energy that some celebrities may not have or companies may have allocated elsewhere. But how do you write in someone else’s voice?

Whoever is in charge of the Los Angeles Kings (NHL team in L.A.!?!?) twitter page  made a name for him or herself over the summer when they made their Stanley Cup run. Now they maintain a voice as one of the ost humorous pages in the professional sports world.

And how much schooling is required to become a “Twitter Butler” in the first place? What constitues a strong Tweet?

One thought to ““Ghost Tweeting” might just be all the rage for writers”

1. I would guess that about 80% of the words I read every day come from Twitter or some other medium in which the number of characters per post is limited…it really does seem like this is the direction that popular writing is heading these days. While these posts are definitely non-traditional types of writing, I don’t think that makes them any worse than other forms; in fact, it probably takes a lot of skill to master the ability to convey a message and express a tone in 140 characters or less.

In the case of a “Twitter Butler”, these skills might better be developed through classes in communication or psychology–a good Butler will know exactly what his audience wants and be able to “hook” them with a single sentence, just as we were taught when first learning about the 5-paragraph essay. The only difference is that we were also required to follow that hook with a full, multi-page essay; Twitter Butlers, on the other hand, are able to focus all of their resources on getting their readers hooked on a single sentence. In this sense, I don’t think that a strong writing background is a prerequisite for someone who writes for a living. As long as they can convey the essential content in an (incredibly) concise manner and add some kind of personal tone directed towards pleasing the target audience (the truly important part for ensnaring a reader in the mess of social media), they should be able to experience success a Twitter Butler.