The Superbowl of Awards’ Shows is Nearly Upon Us…

As a film critic for the Michigan Daily, and a huge fan of film my entire life – I’m practically a walking, talking IMDB – this Sunday, February 24th is an important day for me. Though I’ll admit, I think the Golden Globes are a bit more entertaining on the regular, I can’t wait for this year’s Oscars broadcast.

First of all, Seth MacFarlane is hosting. Family Guy is, has always been, and always will be a go-to source of funny for me, and I enjoy the fact that there’s someone else out there who shares my sick and twisted sense of humor. I can’t imagine MacFarlane doing anything but absolutely killing it, and I’m excited to see how tame he can be…

Secondly, there are some GOOD races this year. There’s nothing duller than when a category is a lock. Anne Hathaway WILL win Best Supporting Actress for Les Miz (I mean come on, did you see her what that poor girl went through? Gotta give the girl something…), and Daniel Day-Lewis WILL win Best Actor for Lincoln (he was like a cinematic resurrection…). But the other main categories are brimming with uncertainty: Best Actress is a deadlock between Jennifer Lawrence for Silver Linings Playbook and Jessica Chastain for Zero Dark Thirty, Best Supporting Actor could go one of three ways, in my opinion, though my money’s on Tommy Lee Jones for Lincoln, I’d be surprised if Best Director didn’t go to Spielberg, especially since Affleck and Bigelow are conveniently absent, and as for Best Picture, will it be Argo or Lincoln? It will be interesting to say the least to see how it all unfolds…

Thirdly – two words: RED CARPET. Be your own judge of how fabulous or fabulously horrid everyone appears as they flock down the strip. Plus, just the sight of Ryan Seacrest as men (and many of the women) tower over him during interviews just makes me go “Awwwwwwww.”

And if you need a fourth reason to watch, you know someone’s going to botch an acceptance speech or knock it out of the park, trip on stage, make some idiotic political comment or an ass of themselves in some way shape or form, reminding us that, although the Oscars are the biggest night in Hollywood honoring the most talented minds in the business, they’re just people who make believe for a living. Perspective…

So, if you haven’t seen any of the honored movies yet, I’ve reviewed four of the Best Picture nominees (many of which were honored in countless other categories too) – and they’re all Must-See flicks: Argo, Lincoln, Silver Linings Playbook, and Amour… and there’s still time to catch them before Sunday!

What did you think of this year’s “best” films? Do you watch the Oscars? Who are you excited to see walk the red carpet? Who do you want to win/think will win/and definitely DON’T want to win?

I’ll be weighing back in post-ceremony with more thoughts, opinions and potentially some major venting… and I hope you will join me!

Carly Keyes

"There are no two words in the English language more harmful than 'good job.'" (Whiplash)

5 thoughts to “The Superbowl of Awards’ Shows is Nearly Upon Us…”

1. Carly,

I definitely share your love for the Oscars. In fact, I love all award shows. But I’m certainly not on your level when it comes to critiques. When an actress steps out onto the red carpet sporting an outrageous dress, most people cringe and criticize. I’m the viewer saying, “you go girl. Own that dress,” as if she can hear me through the tv. In terms of movies, I typically love them all.

For this, I was surprised when I started challenging the praise given to Jennifer Lawrence. Don’t get me wrong, her role in Silver Linings Playbook was inspiring, to say the least, and I cried when she volunteered to be tribute. But I can’t help but wonder, is it her acting that deserves the praise, or has she just been casted in well-crafted movies? Sometimes I feel like she isn’t actually that talented, but rather, she has just been lucky to play great parts.

I’m interested to hear what you have to say about this, since you seem to have be more opinionated about this than I am.

Regardless, I’m extremely excited to watch on Sunday; the event is even scheduled into my phone calendar!

2. First, I loved the links you included. They were brilliantly placed, and I definitely said “Awwww” in my head as that picture of Seacrest standing on a block popped up.

Second, you made me sad that I won’t be able to watch the Oscars this Sunday (stupid MCAT prep class). I hadn’t give the Oscars much thought until reading your post, and now I find myself really wishing I could watch. Although I’ve only seen Silver Linings Playbook–the others are on my list–I still wish I could enjoy the excitement of watching live. I’ve started to think that watching things live is even more exciting in this technological era, because with the internet everyone can share their views as things happen. Twitter is the main place I see this, and I’m sure that plenty of viewers will be live-tweeting the awards show.

Since I’ll likely be watching clips of speeches and looking at fashion reviews after it all happens, no live-tweeting for me. But maybe that’s okay, because without having seen the movies, I don’t really have anything to say about them. I was slightly underwhelmed by Silver Linings Playbook, as I thought the movie kind of dragged a bit. I thought the acting was great, but the movie itself was kind of ehh for me.

Anyway, I’m excited to read your post-Oscars blog post, because you seem to know a lot about these films!

3. Also loved the links. I’m so interestingly annoying that I actually did click on every one (except the movie titles) to look at the headlines on the websites. I love headlines, they either pull you in or push you away. Similarly to what the starry celebrities wear on the Red Carpet. I mean, did you see what Katy Perry, Beyonce, and Rihanna had on for the Grammys? Seriously, go somewhere and find out! (I liked their outfits, FYI)

Aside from the Oscars, the only thing that really reels me in is the Red Carpet. I know some people may check their TV guides to see what time the actual Oscars start, but I do just the opposite. I’m an artist at heart and really get a kick out of what amazing or not so amazing designers the stars are wearing, if they care about their nail polish as much as they should, and if the color of his hair matches his dates lipstick. Weird things I know. But they get me going when it involves Oscar talk. I also love the post-Oscar Fashion Police talk the day after, usually hosted by Joan Rivers and Kelly Osbourne, to name a few. The only past memories I remember from the Oscars, are my friend Megan and I’s Sign Language study session, at least that’s what she called it. We met at her dorm last year to go over an assignment for our sign language course. Of course, she was madly engrossed and eye stuck to the Oscar’s. I only now can picture her nodding or pressing mute whenever something intrigued her. She thought that denying the sound of the show would take her mind off the nominations and winners, maybe. Did I care? No. I was focused on her hamster,Princess Angel, giving me a hard cold glare from behind her feeding tube. I was terrified that she would mysteriously break from her cage and want us, preferably me, to give her a hamster “sign” lesson. Scary I know.

4. Thanks for the post, Carly! I’ve read some of your reviews in TMD, and you’re definitely the right person to post about the Oscars.

I’ve watched the Oscars every year since I can remember. This is not because I’m a huge movie buff, in fact, come Oscars season, I’ve rarely seen any of the movies nominated (I don’t have the attention span to sit through an entire movie in theaters). I was forced to sit through the Oscars every year because my best friend’s parents were obsessed with the awards show, and would throw a huge Oscar party every year. All guests were required to submit a ballot with their predictions. The winner received a 100 dollar gift card to a local movie theater. Since I’d never seen any of the movies, my ballot was always a joke. Every single year, without fail, I would close my eyes and randomly circle my choices. How was I supposed to know who was going to win best sound editing anyway?

As a HUGE baseball fan, I’ve been a long time follower of Nate Silver. I’ve faithfully followed his statistical analysis while picking fantasy teams for years, and his predictions for the 2012 election allowed me to sleep soundly in the weeks leading up to the election. Recently Silver posted his Oscar predictions on his NYT blog. He revamped the his analysis from his 2009 and 2011 predictions. I’ll be curious to see how he fares this year- maybe with Silver on my side I could have won that gift card!