Freshman Year Writing… Enough Said.

“Through the dinner scene and a majority of the story, Joyce develops Gabriel’s character as this “symbol of firm authority.” After this “firm authority” is developed and Gretta shares her past with Michael Furey, Riquelme strongly persuades that Gabriel becomes “an example of a self-deluded person who is startled into a process of reconsidering what he has thought about himself and about those around him” (220). Gabriel is “startled into [this] process” at the end as he realizes that his “own identity was fading out into a grey impalpable world: the solid world itself which these dead had one time reared and lived in was dissolving and dwindling (59). The reveal of Michael Furey comes unexpectedly to the reader after we become so familiar with the dominance of Gabriel’s character in the story, as the reader is not expecting there to be someone that Gretta loves other than Gabriel.”

I don’t introduce or incorporate the quotes well, I use passive voice, and it is all just jumbled in there. I don’t really see the effect this passage has… woo, freshman self! You go!