My Little Plushie – Sewing Is Magic

Spring may be just around the corner they say, but Lyra Hearstrings knows it’s still time to bundle up.

Who would have thought that I would be able to turn my obsession with a children’s show into a profit? After a good two weeks of hard work, I am proud to present my second fan made plush to the world. This little girl here is none other than Lyra Hearstrings, resident unicorn and musician of Ponyville. Just in case you’re wondering, this character comes from the 2010 children’s show My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic. When I first became a fan of the show, I quickly fell in love with the fan base market. It was full of talented plushie makers from all around the world, cranking out  beautiful and show-accurate plushies of the show’s character. Naturally these fan made plushies don’t come cheaply , but fans seem to be willing to spend the extra money on the fan-made stuff. Naturally Hasbro, the show’s sponsor, has their own brand of official plushies as well. These plushies are significantly cheaper, but when it comes to quality well

Now how did I become a plush maker? My first handmade plush was less than successful (no such thing as a failure if you tried).  After that I went back to the drawing board, and after several trial-and-error designs I made my second plush. This was the first one I put up for sale on eBay. It took 3 auctions, but in the end I managed to auction it off for $380 – a success in my books. My latest plush (pictured above) was probably the most difficult of the three, which is surprising considering that this was the first to not use tedious hand-embroidery (machine embroidery is MUCH easier and faster – I’m talking an hour of work vs. 3 days of work per design.) In the end though, I am very pleased with the result.

If any of you happen to be interested in buying this plush, go here for the auction (up until this Sunday 3/20/12 evening around 9 pm).

One thought to “My Little Plushie – Sewing Is Magic”

1. I think you’ve succeeded in making the blog 20% cooler. 😉
    You say that your first attempt wasn’t so great, but how do you get interested in making plushies in the first place? Is sewing and crafting things with fabric something you were interested for a long time? Or did you decide to give it a try when you saw pony plush makers?
    I think it’s really cool that fans can create high-quality stuff like this. Fandoms as a whole are pretty fascinating for me, and I’m always impressed at how people can use them as a creative outlet.