Crank It Up To 11

“Once we crank that bass up to 11, it cleans the dishes on a microscopic level” – DJ-Pon3 on dubstep dishwashers.

Poor Octavia,I may have not lived with a dubstep-loving DJ, but I know what its like to have endure a noisy neighbor. Last year I had a very harsh experience with the students living in the dorm in Bursley Hall next to me. They were the type of students who loved to play their music loudly, and had little consideration for others when they did. Consequently, many times I found myself having to study outside my dorm, much to my discomfort. Despite my many attempts to reason with them to keep their music at a reasonable level, they flatly refused to compromise. Now for a while I was found myself in a habit of coming back and complaining to them, even when It was abundantly clear that they weren’t going to turn down their music for me. The RA of my hall was no help either. She was the type of RA who only did just enough to get credit, and mostly left the rest of the residents to sort out their problems on their own. Needless to say, she was less than sympathetic with my troubles.

Strangely enough, when I look back on my I am almost glad that I went through that experience. As a high-strung woman, I find a lot of times I am very easily annoyed or set off by small things, and that’s a habit I’ve been trying to get rid of for a long time. As annoying as they were, my next door neighbors reminded me that in life you’re going to have to make a lot of compromises and put up with a lot of things you don’t want to. That aside, had there have been a more pleasant way for me to have learned that lesson, I gladly would have taken it.

2 thoughts to “Crank It Up To 11”

1. Yeah, I’ve had that problem before with loud noise. I find it weird that they wouldn’t compromise at all, though. Did they just refuse to turn down their music when you asked and claimed it wasn’t that annoying? Did they turn it down a little only to turn it up five minutes later? Or did they lower their music and blast it the next night? You would think that people would be more willing to negotiate in a communal living space. I’d be interested to hear what their reasoning was.
    Also, your picture at the top of this post isn’t appearing. I’m assuming it’s something MLP:FiM related, judging by the first lines of the post.

2. I completely agree with you. I get very easily distracted, so even the smallest of noises can annoy me. For example, I don’t like typists. The sound of the fingers on the keys crushing the keyboard irritates me. I also dislike hearing one end of a conversation and not the other–especially in a somewhat quiet space like the Fishbowl. Above all, I despise hearing people chew or eat food while I’m not enjoying a meal myself. There’s something about the sound of a Chipotle burrito being chomped on that gets under my skin. I sometimes I have to move seats in order to get away from the culprit! I guess what I’m trying to say is that you’re not alone!