Graduation

The end of the school year is bittersweet for many reasons, and seeing senior friends graduate to move on with their lives definitely falls on the “bitter” end of the scale. Knowing that you’ll be without 20+ people who you’ve gotten to know over the years is really sad, and definitely brings my own inevitable (?) graduation to the front of my mind.

Four years of college seems like a lifetime to an incoming freshman, more than a fifth of your 18-year-old life. But, cliché though the statement may be, time really does fly. I remember my orientation like it was yesterday, and now suddenly I’ll be next on the chopping block. One more year. It’s funny how final graduation seems right now; I’m not on my deathbed, I’m just preparing to leave this particular university. I’ll probably even be in Ann Arbor for awhile. But still, it’s a terrifying prospect.

The difference between 18 and 20 seems like a lifetime, as I look at all these fresh-faced young kids (who are in reality basically the same age as me), and I feel so envious. Every year, graduation reminds me of how quickly things move, how short a time I have at college. These really have been the best years of my life, and most other people would feel the same. It’s scary to think that a year from now I’m going to be thrust into “the real world,” and have to have a real job (career??). As quickly as these years have gone, I have a feeling that next year will last only an instant.