My Completed Remediation Project!

Hey there everyone. If you’re like me, you typically don’t finish most big projects or papers until the very last minute. However, this project was different for me. It was something that I felt extremely passionate about; it has always bothered me that people misuse psychological terms all the time, and I’m the girl that gets offended when a person describes something as “retarded.”

We’re all good with words here…choose them more carefully.

Schizophrenia is so often used lightly, especially in the media, and I got sick of hearing about it. I think my short story with the schizophrenic character stemmed from my dislike of the social stigma and misunderstanding of the disorder. So I took this frustration and created a short story and an iMovie PSA.

Here is “The Truth about Schizophrenia” for your viewing pleasure. I’d love if you guys could comment on it on YouTube (or on here, whichever) and share it with your friends and family. Any critiques or compliments are welcome! The more people that are aware of the issues, the sooner we can redefine society’s idea of what schizophrenia — and mental illness in general — truly is.

Kaitlin Schuler

Hey all! I'm a 20 year old female from the southern suburbs of Chicago. I've been in love with books since I was a babe in swaddling clothes, and that has been the one constant relationship in my life. I also love hot chocolate, hockey, hot dogs, and hoe-downs. Well...maybe not the last one. Though I've never been, so that could change! Keep up with my posts and learn more about this hockey-loving, hot chocolate-drinking girl.

4 thoughts to “My Completed Remediation Project!”

1. Kaitlin,

Wonderful job with your video. I think you captured both the current tragic aspect and the need for more education around the illness. I have a huge history of mental illness in my family, and my aunt is schizophrenic. Until I was old enough to understand, my mom would just always tell me that “Aunt Susan isn’t doing well,” rather than explain her condition to me. But as I grew, I learned about what she went through. I actually don’t even know probably 5% of her story, but I know she struggled with homelessness for a while, like you showed in your video. And despite the fact that she’s this brilliant artist, whenever I get cards from her for my birthday or Christmas, her handwriting is always scribbled due to her tremors. She’s doing much better in general, though she still struggles. I think your video will help a lot of people – great job.

2. Hi Kaitlin,
    I truly enjoyed watching your video in class. I think you did a wonderful job putting it together, and I am impressed with your video editing skills! I have a long way to go in that department.
    Your topic was super interesting, and something that is not typical to do a project about. I think many people focus on other mental illnesses, but schizophrenia is overlooked. I am a psychology major, and I took a class last semester on abnormal psychology. We covered schizophrenia, and briefly touched on the societal confusion and misinformation surrounding this mental illness. It was great to get a further look into the issue. Your video is a great resource for people to use!

3. Kaitlin- thoroughly enjoyed your video! It was polished and emotionally stimulating. You also used several eclectic sources throughout. (side note: Also, loved your choice of using Enya’s “A Day Without Rain” as background music! That was one of the first pieces I learned on piano!)

You have good reason and sensitivity for being offended when words like “schizophrenia” are used improperly or in the wrong context. As a survivor of anorexia, I get really frustrated when people take one look a thin person or celebrity and automatically assume that they have an eating disorder. I think this is a similar idea that is also involved in Melissa’s project- the “that’s so gay” comment that is said way too many times in our culture.

Great job on your video- I think this is an especially unique project because it not only raises awareness about schizophrenia; it puts that awareness into a medium that is more personal and relatable.

4. Kaitlin,
    You really did an amazing job on your video. Schizophrenia isn’t a topic on which I’m particularly informed, so I actually learned a lot! I loved how you incorporated a number of narrators and speakers in the video, it helped convey the message from a number of viewpoints.
    I completely agree with your feelings about the word “retarded.” Though I don’t have much experience with people suffering from mental illness, I actually spent the majority of my high school career volunteering with children with disabilities. People use the word “retarded” with the connotation of “stupid” or “dumb.” They fail to realize that mental retardation is a real disability that real people face each day. The use of the word “retarded” to imply that someone is “stupid” isn’t only offensive, but it is also false. People with mental disabilities aren’t stupid. Their minds just work differently. By working with children with disabilities, I met some of the most incredible kids I have ever had the chance to know.