Post-Game Thoughts

Oh, goodness, let’s hope I can write something coherent.

Let’s start from the top, shall we?  This was actually the first Michigan basketball game I’d ever seen.  Scratch that, this was the first basketball game that I had sat all the way through ever.  Not only that, but getting to the championship for the first time in over 20 years is a once in a lifetime opportunity.  I was never planning to go to Atlanta, but it was given that I would watch this.

My friends and I went to watch the game at the Crisler Center.  It didn’t matter that the team wasn’t physically there, we were still pumped up and screaming.  I had no idea what would happen at the game.  I did expect a close match, but I hoped and dreamed of a Michigan victory.

The first half went extremely well.  Our team was in top form and gave Louisville a shock.  It was close to halftime that Louisville began to make up the difference, and we ended the half only a point ahead.  Then the second half came around, and, well…  We just couldn’t seem to mount a defense against the Cardinals.  Granted, we would chase them down every time they got too far ahead in the points.  But after the final buzzer, Louisville had won by six or eight points.  (I’m not going to look up the score at the moment.  I don’t really want to read any analysis of the game right now.)

It was sad to see Crisler Arena start to empty out near the last thirty seconds of the game.  The clock hadn’t run out, but the crowd knew what was going to happen.  It hurt worse to see my friends react – they’ve invested a lot of time and emotions into the team over the past two seasons, so to see the team lose was terrible.  Even though I was still a newbie, more than once I thought, Come on, guys, you’ve come too far to lose now.  It was to no avail.

The walk home was better, though.  Fresh air is always a great remedy.  As disappointed as we were, we did conclude that our team had fought hard the entire game.  Besides that, we still have amazing players for next season.  We have freshman and sophomore players with incredible talent, and they showed off their skill tonight.  At the very least, it would hurt more if it was a buzzer-beater that we had failed to win.  With this end, you don’t have to wail over a single second of a missed opportunity.

Ah, but I’m tired, and I’m writing this in the wee hours of the morning.  Much like fresh air, sleep does a world of good.

One thought to “Post-Game Thoughts”

1. Hey Kelsey,

Thanks for your take on the game. I was watching it on my laptop (trying to multitask and do some HW at the same time… unsuccessfully), but I imagine it was a blast watching it up on the big screen surrounded by thousands of Michigan fans. That is always a bummer when people start to bounce when they know the game is “over” even before it ends. I always try to stay out of respect for the players, unless it’s an absolute blow out, and then I like to think that at least half of the players would rather I take off so I’m not watching them get killed. But the good thing is our team is SO young. I think at a few points during some of the big games there were five freshman on the floor. I think next year has a very good outlook, even without Burke and possibly Hardaway Jr. I’ve still got to go pick up my Final Four T-shirt. I was sorta holding out to see if I’d be buying a National Champs shirt instead 🙁 Next year, next year.