Tragedy Strikes Boston

I’m sure many people will agree with me when I say that I’m sick of hearing about events such as what happened today in Boston. Simply put, it’s an absolute disgrace. What kind of person can possibly live with their self, knowing they played a role in executing such a despicable act? Multiple innocent lives lost, several in critical condition, hundreds injured, and countless scarred memories that may never fully recover. It’s scary to acknowledge how horrific tragedies such as this continue to occur. Unfortunately, despite all of the amazing people in this world, it is also full of utterly cruel individuals who either hate the world or for some sick reason are determined to torment and harm innocent people.

While I obviously want to know who is responsible for such a despicable act, I’m more curious as to why. What could possibly motivate someone to do something like this? How can someone possibly justify this action? How can these people live with themselves? Why are some people so heartless? Why are some people such cowards? Why are some people such a disgrace?

In the midst of all of our busy schedules and lofty aspirations, it is very easy to lose sight of what truly matters in life. There are so many things that we take for granted on a daily basis. We should all be grateful for attending such an amazing university and being surrounded by friends and family who care about us. I spent this past weekend visiting my grandparents in Florida. I’m so happy I was able to spend time with them. Tragedies like this are humbling to us all. They place everything in perspective.

Late last night I flew back to Michigan. I was mad that my flight was delayed 40 minutes. I was feverishly refreshing my phone before the flight even landed, checking to see if the Yankees won or not. Today I heard about what happened in Boston. I am reminded about what is truly important. Tonight I will go to sleep sick to my stomach. Tomorrow I will use this as motivation to be a better person and appreciate everything in my life that I am so fortunate to have.