Where Were You?

In the past 24 hours, I have not been able to take my eyes off of my TV, stop looking at my Twitter feed, or stop looking at news articles online.  What happened at the Boston Marathon is tragic, and it makes me so sad to think about the victims’ families and all of the innocent people that were hurt by the bombings.  They were just going about their day, enjoying a great event, and now their lives are most likely changed forever.  Last night, I was driving up to northern Michigan for the weekend with my parents, and we listened to Fox radio the whole 3 hour car ride.  The moment the reporter announced that they had captured the second suspect who was hiding in a boat in someone’s backyard, my family erupted in cheers.  It was comforting to know that our law enforcement is so hard working and diligent, and hopefully his capture will put those affected at ease.

This week got me thinking about similar events, such as September 11th, the Sandy Hook Elementary school shooting, or the shooting at the movie theater in Colorado. I remember where I was when I heard of these events, and I knew that yesterday while I was driving  with my parents and heard they had captured the second subject, that would be one of those moments.  I will remember it for a long time.  In the coming days, I hope we all can find out more information about what happened as we try to make sense of something so senseless.

3 thoughts to “Where Were You?”

1. Kate,

This happened to me, too! I remember studying for a midterm in the fishbowl and finding out about the Sandy Hook events, but even more vividly do I remember the 9/11 event. I was in fourth grade and I was at school when I found out. If I took someone to my school, I could show them the exact classroom I was in, where my desk that I was sitting at was as well as the brick on the wall that I just sat there staring at while all of us fourth graders just sat there not knowing what to do. I went home and my mom was repainting her room, and I remember asking her to explain the events more to me. It is so crazy how that happens.

I’m glad you were able to experience the good news this weekend with your family. It’s crazy how these types of events really make you appreciate that time together more, too.

2. Kate,
    This “Where Were You” conversation is all too familiar to me. I am a New Yorker, born and raised, and for this, the events of 9/11 really hit home- literally. I still remember the day vividly- waking up, going to school, the early dismissal, the frightened looks on my parents faces- as unfortunate as it is, the day is one of the clearest memories I have. I remember the fighter jets circling above my house, and my school’s refusal to allow us to play outside, even though the weather was nice. The following weeks were scary, every adult was on edge. My city, after all, was under attack. I can imagine this was how the residents of Boston felt before the second suspect was found. Now that manhunt is over, I hope that the Boston community can put the tragic events behind them and get back to their daily routines. More importantly, I pray that the families of those injured and killed in the bombings can overcome this tragedy- my heart goes out to them.

3. I remember 9/11 like it was yesterday. I was in elementary school, and it was my friend’s birthday. He had brought in brownies for the class, and the two of us were bringing the extras around to other classrooms. All of a sudden, a teacher grabbed us and brought us back to our own classroom. She wouldn’t explain what was going on, and when we pressed her she told us there had been an accident in the city. I am from a part of New Jersey that has a clear line across to the New York skyline, so all of the kids immediately rushed to the windows to see what was going on. We couldn’t see much, except for the smoke going up.
    I suddenly realized that my dad, who usually works from home, had to go into the city that day. I was terrified and wanted to go home, but the teachers wouldn’t let us leave. As I learned later, my dad was actually supposed to be at the World Trade Center that morning. However, by some miracle we had a power outage the night before, and his alarm clock didn’t go off – he ended up missing his 8am train into the city, and decided to just work from home. Ever since then, I’ve always been very affected by these kind of tragedies and thought about people who weren’t so lucky.