A Blog I’m Reading– and why you should be Skimming, too

Okay, so I’m going to start off by admitting that I’m not exactly the best at following the news. I know there are a ton of super important things going on in the world, and I really do want to stay informed about as many of them as possible. But when it comes down to it, instead of surfing some news sites and getting-my-good-citizen-on,  I somehow end up reading Buzzfeed articles about important topics like forgotten toys of the ’90s or even worse, Miley Cyrus’s new outfit. It’s not like I really care about these things, but somehow I always get drawn in by the bright pictures and flashy titles, one after another. So even though BuzzFeed is probably the blog I read most (and BuzzFeed is wonderful, really), it’s not the one I want to talk about today.

Instead, I’d like to introduce you to The Skimm. I haven’t been reading it for very long, so I’m not an authority by any means, but basically the idea is that the writers of the site “do the reading for you and explain it with fresh editorial content, breaking down what you need to know to start the conversation.” Sounds easy enough, right? Plus, Skimm markets itself toward “the educated professional who knows enough to know she needs more,” so it’s MADE for people who consider themselves educated professionals. And I’m (semi) educated and (almost/kinda) professional, so it’s (basically) made just for me! Essentially, the Skimm gives you the gist of all the important stuff going on in the world and simplifies all the different headlines and stories into a few short paragraphs . The site claims to be non-partisan, though I get a feeling its creators might lean a little to the left. I also think it’s kind of interesting that the site is geared towards women (they say “know SHE needs more,” plus their icon is a perfectly put-together businesswoman type). It’s certainly refreshing to see a news posting that caters to professional women, but it’s not as if buisnessMEN are automatically born with political insight, and I haven’t seen anything similar in a male version, so I personally think the site might be better served if it were marketed for all professional people so that guys aren’t discouraged from reading too.

TheSkimm isn’t the be-all-end-all of news sources by any means, but I’ve found it’s a great place for someone like me to start. If you’re not the greatest at maintaining awareness and well-rounded knowledge about everything in the world, you might want to take a look at it, too. And even if you are a news nerd, it still might be worth tuning in every once in awhile for the entertaining and often humorous way Skimm manages to get the news out.

Yona Isaacs

Hello :) I'm a BCN major (that's Biopsychology, Cognition, and Neuroscience...obnoxiously long name, I know) here at the University of Michigan, as well as an Applied Statistics minor-- and a Writing minor, of course! I'm involved in Psychology research and spend a lot of my "free" time doing that. I also recent-ish-ly started learning to play the ukulele, so that's cool. Oh, and I once smashed a huge whole in a wall with my butt. That was about 6 years ago, but I haven't done anything nearly as impressive since. Still hoping to follow it up with something great!

3 thoughts to “A Blog I’m Reading– and why you should be Skimming, too”

1. This looks like a really interesting website. I just checked it out, and you were spot on as far as “entertaining and often humorous way Skimm manages to get the news out” goes. Personally, I like more dense news sources, but this is a neat option. Not sure how I feel about signing up for it though.

2. Great post! I really liked your honesty about how you read blogs and the way you described what TheSkimm actually is. Most importantly (to me), I enjoyed that you really critiqued the blog itself and not just something it wrote about. Pointing out that it seeks a specific audience and any problems/implications you saw with that was a smart observation that can often be missed when focusing on context and now the whole picture. Nice!

3. As much as I hate to admit, I have a weird dream that all main news sources adopt a casual BuzzFeed esque style of debriefing news. Even with my print copies of the Wall Street Journal, I basically skim everything; so it’s beyond refreshing that you’ve found an informative yet casual blog. I think that your writing style in this blog does an awesome job of mirroring the style of the subject your discussing, which makes my interest in it now all the more compelling.