Blogs and Bloggers I Like

As I brainstormed my go-to blog to share with everyone, I was a bit disappointed to realize that I don’t really follow any one blog religiously. I guess I glean most of my news-y information from prominent sources like the New York Times and NPR, and most other info – entertainment, opinion pieces, etc. from various articles I see linked to or that people send me. This being the case, I decided to mention two writers that come to mind, each with blogs I always enjoy reading.

The first is Ta-Nehisi Coates, a senior editor for the Atlantic. Coates mainly writes about social, cultural, and political issues, and a lot of his work has to do with racial issues facing African-Americans. The first article I read by him was “Keeping it Unreal: $elling the Myth of Bla¢k Male Violen¢e, Long Past Its Expiration Date”, actually first published in the Village Voice, which discusses the effects of Gangsta Rap on black youth and his own personal experiences with the genre growing up in impoverished Baltimore in the 1980s. His article was so compelling that I eventually started reading more articles by him, a lot of which were found on his blog at the Atlantic website. I love his concise style, exact diction, and the fact that he writes on such a diverse range of topics.

The second is Paul Graham, a well-known computer programmer, venture capitalist, and essayist. Had it not been for a few close friends in computer science, I probably never would have looked into Graham’s work, as much of his essays concern technical programming concepts and startup advice. However, after they showed me his blog, I found that many articles geared towards programmers also contained information applying to all disciplines, and many just had valuable life advice for anyone. One essay that stuck with me is called “Good and Bad Procrastination”. I’m a notoriously bad procrastinator who additionally likes to believe I’m always being productive, so the idea of “good procrastination” was attractive to me. By “good procrastination,” Graham essentially means putting off one task for another that, in the long run, is really more important and will further bigger goals. Other essays by Graham have similar out-of-the-box, non-comformist advice, and have been enlightening when I’ve been bogged down creatively or lacked motivation.

One thought to “Blogs and Bloggers I Like”

1. I think it’s really cool that you were able to take a blog that you initially thought would have nothing to do with you and got information that you could use out of it. It shows that you’re not into blogging solely for some of the reasons the Sullivan described, such as being able to scan someone’s opinions immediately.